I've Got 2 Big Problems

tkaat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Sensor on my D40 has dust on it -noticeable dust when using flash or bright light :(.
I'm going to Orlando in a few days and would like to know if there are any good sensor cleaners in Orlando. Or if you know a good cleaning accessory. I've heard of the one from visible dust but wanna know if it's safe to use for noobs or anything cheaper & how much does it usually cost to get a sensor cleaned by a pro.
My second problem is not really mine. My friend also has a D40 and it seems that her lens barrel is 'stuck'. To be specific her inner barrel gets stuck- or hard to where you have to jerk it little to switch- when she is transitioning from around 24 to 45. So stuck at around 35. Do you know how to fix this or any persons in Orlando that can inspect it and I have a chance to get it fixed by.
Your help is quite appreciated

I had dust on my sensor once and I just blew it off with a puff of air from a bulb.

There are a few ways to clean a sensor. It's nothing to be afraid of, as long as you don't have sausage fingers and drink too much coffee ;)

Search the forum (or Google) for sensor cleaning, you should easily get some good info.

As for the stuck lens...if you can find a good camera store, stop in and ask someone (who looks like they know what they are doing) to have a look at it.
If something is stuck or has come loose, it will probably need to be sent in for repair. Lens repair really isn't a good DIY project.

lol... Giotto Rocket Blaster... get the biggest one.

They are great... they actually filter the air coming in before blowing it out on to your sensor.

For God's sake... do NOT blow on your sensor from your mouth!!! :lol:

Proper lens changing technique also helps. I've checked my D200 and after a year and several hundred lens changes indoors and outdoors... it is still spotless.

Learn to clean it yourself. It's like learning to ride a bike. The first couple trips down the sidewalk seem scary, but then it's like you've been doing it your whole life.

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

The lens needs to be repaired. Check the manufacturer's website for instructions, where to send it, etc...

Tip i cant stress enough..

DO NOT BUY THE CHEAP DOLLAR STORE BLOWERS!!!!

I did...

my sensor was a lil dirty..
i blew it with that..
still dirty.. seemed.. dirtier...
blew again..
now it was REALLY dirty....

the blower was blowing very very tiny rubber specks all over it.... :x

it was horrible..

i took a lens tissiue and lighty dragged it over the sensor..
and it turned the specks into lines.. smudging across it..

so for like 3 days i read,and googled about cleaning your sensor..
i was short on cash and henrys wanted liek $80 or somthing..
and i needed the camera in a few days.
so after much reading ect i did it myself.

was a reliefe reading that you dont actually touch or clean the sensor itself,
but the glass filter thats in front of it, so its not a whole whole lot different than cleaning a lens. ( just have to make sure that your camera dosent have a special coating over it.. i read that the d50 dosent, so it was safe to use lens cleaner on the low pass filter.)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2yfZL0edqs&feature=related[/ame]

pretty much did the same as this official nikon video shows

only using the eraser end of a pencil wrapped in lens tissue. with a dab of lens cleaner on it

It worked like a charm.
took 5 mins.
sensor was crystal clear after.

Lens needs to be repaird. Same thing happend to my 17-55 2.8 and cost $300 to fix at the local repaid shop. Its from bumping the lens on something to hard.

Tip i cant stress enough..

DO NOT BUY THE CHEAP DOLLAR STORE BLOWERS!!!!

I did...

my sensor was a lil dirty..
i blew it with that..
still dirty.. seemed.. dirtier...
blew again..
now it was REALLY dirty....

the blower was blowing very very tiny rubber specks all over it.... :x

it was horrible..
I did the same thing -bought the $2.00 one - and know my sensor seems to be dirty-er now also. When I go up I will get one of those good blowers.

& thanks everyone with answering so promptly :hug::

I'll add to the don't attempt to fix the lens yourself crowd... I've done it with a simple manual focus lens and that was quite a bit of work, mind you I fixed the problem but I still wouldn't suggest it unless you're pretty darned organized about it.

I bought one of those hurricane blowers and that did the job effectively :thumbup:

Never use compressed air! I can not stress this enough. It will leave dirt&oils on the snesor as two other posts have stated. Jeryys suggestion of the rocket blower being the best.

Use a hurricane blower, and make sure it isn't on your lens, also, shouldn't this be on the basic forum?

Most reactions

Back