Japanese vs Chinese Nikon...... a lens situation

A note about "grey market" - they are the same lenses as the "normal" distribution lenses, however the Nikon (and I guess the other manufacturers) will not normally back them up. Reputable vendors, however, will provide their own warranty with the equipment.

Current Nikkors are made to various price points. Factory sites reflect this. There's an abiding fiction that "grey market" lenses are somehow like "seconds" or share some baked-in quality compromises that explain the lower price. Rather it's just a corporate decision to protect national/regional vendors that's reinforced by a warranty/service embargo.

I have the low-end plastic Chinese-made AF G primes(35/40 micro/50/85). All pin-sharp and up to the amateur use they were intended for but plainly not as well-built as the far pricier Japanese-made glass. No secret about that.

You guys were certainly ahead of the curve! :1247: I now buy nothing from China. Which, sadly, includes Mercedes C class, Volvos, Land Rovers, iPhones,....etc. And, of course, Nikon lenses. Which is a more formidable task than one would think. :confused-55: (except Hong Kong and Taiwan)

Not the only place where necro-threads have been coming back to life I see.

I just got a Nikon recently and started with the older D series.
Perhaps not a good VR series, but I like the older glass because of the weight and feel.

You guys were certainly ahead of the curve! :1247: I now buy nothing from China. Which, sadly, includes Mercedes C class, Volvos, Land Rovers, iPhones,....etc. And, of course, Nikon lenses. Which is a more formidable task than one would think. :confused-55: (except Hong Kong and Taiwan)
zombiethread1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back