Jellies!

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took a trip (about 10 miles from my home..) to the http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-baltimore-c-c-please-semi-pic-intensive.html and got to see their Jellyfish exhibit. It's quite nice! As soon as I can figure out how to get my GIFs from photobucket to here, they will be here. until then, here are some photos of the squishy little guys. Enjoy, and C&C always welcome and appreciated!

Upside-down Jellies
VID_4365.jpg

2-1
Not too sure what this was..
VID_4331.jpg

2-2
VID_4331IN.jpg

VID_4336IN.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Mark

Last edited:
Very cool Mark!!! I think I like the first one the most. The White on black just has more of a impact on me!!

Sorry about that! The ACTUAL upside-down jelly photo is up now. I can't believe I didnt catch that before!

Thank you kindly, by the way. :)

Mark

What camera/lens did you use? Just wondering, seems like these would be in insanely low light... am I wrong?

Great shots mark. Last time I was down the best shots I got came from the jelly fish room. Youd think they could turn some lights on in that place.

@ajkramer: Jellyfish, most of their species anyway, are cool-water jellies. More lights means more heat. More heat means denaturization of enzymes, and ultimately, the death of the jellies. The up-side down jellies don't have that problem, hence their light being so strong. Besides that, it's so humid in there that almost no evaportaion occurs, so no cooling down that way. I bet they play hell every day with keeping the tanks cool to what they're supposed to be at. But I completely agree! If they modernized and got LED cool lights, they wouldn't have too much of a problem. Places like that, though, always have to do MAJOR overhauls or nothing at all. So, until they can afford a major overhaul of their entire system, they'll make due with what they have. Which really is a shame for us photographers. Or anyone, really, without good eyesight in the dark.

@Destin: I used the Nikon D300s and Nikon 35mm F/1.8G. All besides the upside-down jellies were at 1/80s, F/2.8 ISO640. To show you the light amount difference, the upside-down jellies were shot at F/2.8 and ISO640 as well, but at 1/1000s to get that exposure. The tanks throughout the entire facility were VERY dark, besides the UD Jellies. Miserably dark for just about anything. It's a challenging experience for anything but the best photographer in a place as dark as that where all of your subjects are moving. I'm sure ajkramer and others who have visited can attest to that.

Thank you for your comments.
Mark

I had no idea about all that. Thanks for the lessen. Planning on taking a trip down at some point soon. Did you or have you ever gone to one of the dolphin shows? Every time we go its always sold out unless its a show thats 4 hours from when I buy tickets.

I have p been, but it's been at least seven years since I've been to one. It was quite good back then, though. You have to watch, though, because they make quite a spectical of having the dolphins splash the guests. Not such a great idea for a photographer, lol. S as long as you watch out for that and make sure you bring soething long like a 70/80-200, it's a fun time. Normal zooms will work, but you'll have to be on the upper seats if you don't want to be splashed. So, natually, the further you are away, the harder it will be for you to get tight shots without a zoom like that. Food for thought, get there before 11 or after 5 to avoid the crowds. Getting there within an hour of open is always good for me. Last time I got there within that time frame, and by time I made it to the top for the rainforest, the place was swamped. But, if you buy your tickets online first, you should be able to get in early and get the seat of your choice for the dolphin show.

Mark

Most reactions

Back