Jeremy

Bobbie0253

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am VERY new at photography but thought this one turned out pretty good?

DSC_0074-1.jpg

Trenton Romulox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jeremygrayphotography.com
Photos OK to edit
It looks a little warm in the color temperature department to me, but maybe that's just my monitor. I think the composition and DOF is good here though, and I'm glad to see the eyes are relatively in focus, but I still feel like the nose is the sharpest object in the picture, which is generally bad for portraiture. The angle is kind of fresh I guess, you don't see a mildly top-down portrait too much, at least not with the subject also centered.

OP
B

Bobbie0253

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thanks for the feedback. I probably over did it with the adjusting. Here is the original. Feel free to edit and show me what I could have done better with the shot I took. I can work on angle and focus. This was my first ever attempt at a portrait.... and it was a spur of the moment try. I am VERY open to learning what would work better.

DSC_0074-2.jpg

Thanks!

The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is just underexposed a bit.
Just use levels to fix the white point and it will be fine (once you crop it to 4 x 5)

mrvgson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I like the way you have edited it in PS.

You have a good shot.

molsen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
edited version looks way underexposed to me and the colors aren't true.

for the original: cool the colors a barely noticeable amount and i think you have a great shot

OP
B

Bobbie0253

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Is it just the first one with the greenish color or the second one(original) too? After you pointed it out I noticed it. My monitor is not calibrated yet, and is probably way off. I need to find a lab I like soon and do that.

Thanks for the suggestion on the crop!

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
There is a greenish tinge especially around his eyes in your brightened edition (i.e. the first picture shown), so that may well have come up with your brightening up a photo that is originally underexposed. But ok, I feel, underexposure may well happen when you do "firsts", and try to achieve them with ambient light only, I don't mind it too much, despite the fact that underexposure IS a technical flaw, of course. But I think you captured your son well here. His smile shows that he is half happy half wondering how it'll turn out what his dad is just doing, and I like that expression!

And he has lovely brown eyes. The greenish tint in your edited version is taking away from them, which is a pity.

Tantallonrox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Photos OK to edit
Bobbie,

Hope you don't mind, but I just had to try my hand at editing this photo. I used Lightroom and PS CS2. I'm by no means a pro but I think it turned out ok. If you don't like it or want me to remove it just say so.

Here is your original:
DSC_0074-2.jpg

And the edit:
DSC_0074-2-Edit.jpg

JenR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Good job on your first try! Like the others of said, I think it is underexposed and has a color cast.

DSC_0074-1.jpg

IMHO, the eyes are a tad overdone on the previous edit.

ETA: EEK!! This now looks a little overexposed.

Most reactions

New Topics