Job Interview...Aarrrgghh!!!

luckydog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cracked-lenz.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm about to leave Military service after 19 years and found out today that i have my first job interview in just 5 days!!!
Talk about stress. I'm trying to cram info on interview processes into my head and learn to answer questions without using military jargon. My poor widdle head is spinning :)
I have been shortlisted from 70 applicants down to the final 6.
My fingers are crossed as i am keen to get this job for family stability and it pays more, but my toes are crossed as when i finally seperate from the Air Force i'll get a decent payout then it's off to buy a Nikon D70 and a few lenses :)
Any advice from our experienced civillian TPF'ers on interviews would be appreciated.

A few simple suggestions, don't overthink the situation and be careful not to run on when you answer questions. Most of the time they are more interested in the kind of person you are and how well you'd fit into the office than just about anything else. As soon as they believe you are capable of doing the job (which usually doesn't take long), most of the rest personality based.

Another good idea is to have some questions lined up that you'd like to ask them. Know what you can ahead of time about the company and see if you can work in a few questions for them that give them a feel that you've done some research and are really interested in working for their company.

Hope that helps a little! Good luck!

Most candidates expect to be interrogated. An interrogation occurs when one person asks all the questions and the other gives the answers. An interview is a business conversation in which both people ask and respond to questions. Candidates who expect to be interrogated avoid asking questions, leaving the interviewer in the role of reluctant interrogator.

Interviewers frequently ask candidates, "What are your weaknesses?" Conventional interview wisdom dictates that you highlight a weakness like "I'm a perfectionist," and turn it into a positive. Interviewers are not impressed, because they've probably heard the same answer a hundred times. If you are asked this question, highlight a skill that you wish to improve upon and describe what you are doing to enhance your skill in this area. Interviewers don't care what your weaknesses are. They want to see how you handle the question and what your answer indicates about you.

Every interview concludes with the interviewer asking if you have any questions. The worst thing to say is that you have no questions. Having no questions prepared indicates you are not interested and not prepared. Interviewers are more impressed by the questions you ask than the selling points you try to make. Before each interview, make a list of five questions you will ask. A good question is, "Can you tell me about your career?'” Everybody likes to talk about themselves, so you're probably pretty safe asking that question.”

Candidates intellectually prepare by researching the company. Most job seekers do not research themselves by taking inventory of their experience, knowledge and skills. Formulating a talent inventory prepares you to immediately respond to any question about your experience. You must be prepared to discuss any part of your background. Creating your talent inventory refreshes your memory and helps you immediately remember experiences you would otherwise have forgotten during the interview.

Last but not least; turn your cell phone OFF!!!

Best of luck to you! :salute:

Thats a lot of good advice JonMikal! Thanks!

Good Luck LuckyDog!!!!

Zach :D

Good luck. :)

From what I can tell employers like people just out of the military. Generally speaking they have respect for their superiors and can't take and follow orders. I don't think the odd bit of military language would hurt. As long as they know what you're saying. :)

JonMikal gave excellent advice. I really hope you nail the job in your first go.

I found myself out of work after working for the same company for 15yrs. I went to ooodles and ooodles of job interviews. After each interview I found myself getting better and better at it. I got so relaxed with the process that the interviews felt more like a chit chat sessions. Be genuinly interested in the interviewer and the company, ask questions, this takes the focus off you and on to them, also gives you a breather.

In the end I ended up with several job proposals and I had to pick and choose/negotiate. Having several job proposals buts you in a very good negoitating position. It is amazing at how much more interested the company is in you after they learn that they are not the only ones interested in you. The interview changes from what you can do for the company .....tooo....what the company can do for you.

Best of Luck

Like myself, you have some great advice from here.

From another going through the same, I will just add "go get 'em" :thumbup:

All the best.

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

tell them that you like to work as a team and you are a people person

that always seems to help me good luck keep us updated!

Good luck, tell them your part of the TPF family and the boss will probably make you co-boss or something.
We have influence :D

Great advice! I will be using that advice in the near future (hopefullY)

Good luck with the interview!

You might run into an interview that asks things like; tell us about a situation like........how did you react, what did you do to resolve it, or along that lines. Chin up, look 'em in the eye and give 'em hell! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back