59202_155448117813136_145244588833489_381727_6308440_n.jpg

61895_155418691149412_145244588833489_381494_4622994_n.jpg

60140_155430331148248_145244588833489_381552_2832063_n.jpg

61506_155445634480051_145244588833489_381682_4409813_n.jpg

63078_155445651146716_145244588833489_381683_3206368_n.jpg

63078_155445654480049_145244588833489_381684_1871326_n.jpg

58467_155446361146645_145244588833489_381685_4659232_n.jpg

Just some general things i'm noticing about the scene

1) Her pose looks just a tad awkward. I think it's part her arm (the wood is jutted up) so she doesn't look too stable or comfortable. The gap in her shirt is distracting if only because it's drawing my attention there. But maybe this is part of a sexual innuendo undertone (side boob, no bra, red bra, etc). Not knocking it, just noticing it.

2) Nice dress. The chopping off of her arms bothers me a little, but save for getting a ladder and taking the picture about 8 feet above her, or having her hands in her hair (which could be nice :thumbup:) , i like this shot.

3, 5, 6) The writing on the wood draws my attention away from her in these. Beautiful girl, and nice poses, but maybe a few feet down would've been better. The skirt seems a little blown out in 3, and the shirt in 6. Her hand in 6 is placed a little awkwardly - kinda floating. Maybe next time get her to put arm further back to get her hand on railing?

7) Is great. Love the pose, love the location. Shame you didnt get more time while it was still light out like this one.

Thanks 2ndShot! Actually I have like 100+ shots of her in that location in #7. We had stopped traffic for a bit, This car even drove 6 times to see what's going on. People stopped and stared. She was in her fancy red bra! It was funny as hell!

I have more versions of these images, which capre more then a tighter cropped version.

As for getting more into the camera, I think soon as the 5D comes this week w/ the new wide angle lens, I should be able to take amazing shots!

I can't wait!!!

Ohh as for the little opening in her shirt, damn I forgot! It was way more open so I used liquify tool then got distracted and forgot to fill it up! DOH! I'll fix that

Very harsh shadows caused by your flash. Drop the power and let in more ambient.

Thanks. I do believe the flash was a bit bright but I dont' believe the shadows were too harsh. But yes I agree, flash was bright. Used a beauty dish at like 1/64th power with X 1600 on location w/ battery pack.

The first shot and the last shot are my favorites...she's got good legs, and nice shoes, and her entire personage is shown in both photos. I see what kundalini is talking about with the very disparate flash to ambient light ratio, but in the case of her and these two environmental shots, I don't find the balance to be overly objectionable...which is one of the things about really attractive people--photos they are in can often overcome some technical or artistic weaknesses. In the case of this young woman, this type of "hot, flash-illuminated location photo" look is sort of current and "in"...especially among the younger, Strobist and Facebook crowds....so...I don't think it looks too bad.

just pull the light back some.. few feet should do it.. i would open up a bit more to let in more light in the background too.. or shoot a little earlier in the day so you get a more interesting / exposed background..

other than that.. i love the photos u did great job and have a good understanding of how to use your gear.. hi5 =)

what brand lighting were you using?

Thanks. I do believe the flash was a bit bright but I dont' believe the shadows were too harsh.
Shadows are our friends in portraiture. They create depth, dimension, interest and intrigue. However, there should be a fading and graduation to the shadow as opposed to a defined line. This can be ignored when trying to create drama or tension such as in the film noir vein. I do not believe this is what you are after, particularly since the images are in color. :D

Let's look at a couple of your examples......
#1) The nose, the neck, the chest, the bend of the right knee, between her legs, left shoe, the left leg, arm and hand. All are causing distinct black shadows with crisp edges.

#4) The nose shadow here is quite noticable. It also indicates your flash is positioned too low and too far camera right. You have hot spots on both upper and lower lips. You can also see the areas of her face have all gone to 255, or pretty darn close (eyebrow, bridge of nose, left cheek, chin). Instead of positioning the flash straight onto the subject, try feathering, where only a minimal is required to light....... but I've never used a beauty dish and this may not be applicable, but is easily accomplished with a soft box or umbrella. A more feminine pose would have had her tilting her head to the high shoulder.

**bonus comment**
Try to avoid having a female hand square to the camera as in #6. It is a masculine position.

just pull the light back some.. few feet should do it..
This will make the light source smaller, which in turn would only exacerbate the issue IMO by causing even harsher shadows. Having the light source just out of frame would be my suggestion to soften it.

nice shoes

Darrel, you made me and the wife crack up with this comment! :lol:

other than that.. i love the photos u did great job and have a good understanding of how to use your gear.. hi5 =)

what brand lighting were you using?

Thanks! Yes this was the first time using the strobes outdoor for me. I usually use the 580EX but this is WAY better! I am using the White Lightning X1600. Same by paul C Buff but better built, just a bit more upgraded model from it.

Thanks. I do believe the flash was a bit bright but I dont' believe the shadows were too harsh.
Shadows are our friends in portraiture. They create depth, dimension, interest and intrigue. However, there should be a fading and graduation to the shadow as opposed to a defined line. This can be ignored when trying to create drama or tension such as in the film noir vein. I do not believe this is what you are after, particularly since the images are in color. :D

Let's look at a couple of your examples......
#1) The nose, the neck, the chest, the bend of the right knee, between her legs, left shoe, the left leg, arm and hand. All are causing distinct black shadows with crisp edges.

#4) The nose shadow here is quite noticable. It also indicates your flash is positioned too low and too far camera right. You have hot spots on both upper and lower lips. You can also see the areas of her face have all gone to 255, or pretty darn close (eyebrow, bridge of nose, left cheek, chin). Instead of positioning the flash straight onto the subject, try feathering, where only a minimal is required to light....... but I've never used a beauty dish and this may not be applicable, but is easily accomplished with a soft box or umbrella. A more feminine pose would have had her tilting her head to the high shoulder.

**bonus comment**
Try to avoid having a female hand square to the camera as in #6. It is a masculine position.

just pull the light back some.. few feet should do it..
This will make the light source smaller, which in turn would only exacerbate the issue IMO by causing even harsher shadows. Having the light source just out of frame would be my suggestion to soften it.

Thanks for your comments. Yeah although those little details don't bother me here. Had it been a studio then I'd look more into it because there's just so much more controlled lights. Over all, I think I am happy with the pix, although like people mentioned, It would have been better to have the lights dimmed more. Hopefully the swimsuit shoot I have coming up this Saturday's going to go very well. :thumbup:

C&C Needed Thanks!

Yeah although those little details don't bother me here. Had it been a studio then I'd look more into it because there's just so much more controlled lights.
:confused:

The devil is in the details. This should be addressed whether you're indoors or outside. The sole purpose for external lighting is to gain control, to see your vision, to sculpt the light. My bad for the misunderstanding. I thought you wanted to get feedback on what to do for the next session. At this point, I suspect the upcoming swimsuit session to have similar results. Those probably won't bother you either. GL.

C&C Needed Thanks!

Yeah although those little details don't bother me here. Had it been a studio then I'd look more into it because there's just so much more controlled lights.
:confused:

The devil is in the details. This should be addressed whether you're indoors or outside. The sole purpose for external lighting is to gain control, to see your vision, to sculpt the light. My bad for the misunderstanding. I thought you wanted to get feedback on what to do for the next session. At this point, I suspect the upcoming swimsuit session to have similar results. Those probably won't bother you either. GL.

They won't. But thanks :thumbup:

If I had time, I could show you shots done in magazines where they ahve little shadows as you pointed. Thats why I didn't care for the little things. I did put C&C but at the same time, I was asking more of the over all exposure, background, too bright? Too low? Etc, and pretty much everyone hit the fact that yes these are too bright.

I could go on forever but here's one where you got wrong. # 4 it wasn't positioned too far right but I was using the 580EX right on the camera itself and was standing directly above her face and shot straight down.

I see what you're talking about and all it'd take is a reflector to do the trick.

...I could go on forever but here's one where you got wrong. # 4 it wasn't positioned too far right but I was using the 580EX right on the camera itself and was standing directly above her face and shot straight down.
Not to be arguementative, but if that ^ were the case, you would have achieved the "butterfly lighting" effect. This would have placed the shadow below the nose and lower lip (moreso on prounced lips). This would also create a shadow under the jawline. The nose shadow on #4 is going up.

My only comment is... #2.. i love side cleavage! :)

Most reactions

Back