July-August '08 Photo Challenge - "Travel"

Sounds super interesting.

I do have one question, what about last month. I won, but don't know how to claim my prize. Can anyone help me with that?

~Michael~
I've read that some monthly challenges don't have a prize. Some have. I don't recall if last month's challenge had or hadn't.

Hi! I'm new here. This is probably a stupid question but...are we allowed to edit the images? Or are they meant to be "au natural?" I've seen different photography competitions have different requirements but I couldn't find anything written on this one about editing beyond changing the file size. Thanks so much! Oh, and glad to be here! I love this site! Wish I'd found it sooner!
I'm not totally sure. I expect there's a fair amount of adjusting via curves and levels, dodging and burning, along with cropping, but these are tried and true techniques going back to the beginning of photography. I've not, in the brief time I've been here, seen obvious merging of images. By that I mean, adding something from one image to another, such as replacing a sky with another, or adding some boulder from another shot to the entry image for foreground interest. It might be happening, but I've not noticed thus far. I'd guess there's some cloning and healing also happening. From what I've seen, the photogs here really try to capture it in camera rather than go for a lot of post processing. At least in the challenges. From my brief experience. I'm rambling aren't I? :)

I've read that some monthly challenges don't have a prize. Some have. I don't recall if last month's challenge had or hadn't.

:)

Well darn. No prize for me I don't think. I'm excited to just have won. I can add it to my resume :)

~Michael~

hey whats good. im new and i was wondering if WE ALL get to se the pictures people submit.

^^^ Yes. In early September (ie after the end of the submission period) all the entries will be posted at once, for voting purposes.

How to submit a decent photos lower than 150KB? That's the size of avatar:confused:
To add to what you may have already found an answer for, the excellent (and free!) Irfanview program does cropping, rotating, and resizing, amongst other things. If you need help with that feel free to PM me. Though I may not have many posts on these boards yet (Admittedly I forgot about them due to school and other crap...:banghead:),I know my way around Irfanview mighty well! :mrgreen:

To add to what you may have already found an answer for, the excellent (and free!) Irfanview program does cropping, rotating, and resizing, amongst other things. If you need help with that feel free to PM me. Though I may not have many posts on these boards yet (Admittedly I forgot about them due to school and other crap...:banghead:),I know my way around Irfanview mighty well! :mrgreen:
I googled Irfanview. Looks interesting. Too bad they don't make a mac version or I'd give it a test drive.

hey all, i was wondering if we have to hand in a photo about traveling, or if we could post a photo we took while traveling in a foreign country of animals or people....

^^^ The theme is open to your interpretation. And then the voters will presumably decide how well the photo fits the theme as part of their voting decision

WooHoo!! I pick up my new camera today!... I shouldn't have any problem making this one. Just hope its good enough, lol

Hmm....nice contest...
I am newbie..and I am sure there will be no discrimination between the pros and the newbies or so called novice...after all we all have a chance to get another chance....

So bidding Goodluck to myself and to you all out there....Hope to learn a lot....

Cheers !!!! :)

I just learned something which will affect how I finish off my images before sending as an entry for challenges.

I had been testing the file size of one image that might be an entry, and emailed it to myself.

For some reason, I thought to view the file in Preview (I use a mac), and discovered it had quite a bit less contrast than when I had been viewing it in Photoshop or Bridge.

I then looked at the photo in Preview directly from a folder on the hard drive, and it had more contrast than the one which I had emailed to myself.

Both the one from the hard drive and the one emailed to myself had already been Saved for Web. Other than the emailing and downloading to the desktop, nothing else had been done.

Pretty interesting. Something about emailing caused the file to be changed slightly.

I just learned something which will affect how I finish off my images before sending as an entry for challenges.

I had been testing the file size of one image that might be an entry, and emailed it to myself.

For some reason, I thought to view the file in Preview (I use a mac), and discovered it had quite a bit less contrast than when I had been viewing it in Photoshop or Bridge.

I then looked at the photo in Preview directly from a folder on the hard drive, and it had more contrast than the one which I had emailed to myself.

Both the one from the hard drive and the one emailed to myself had already been Saved for Web. Other than the emailing and downloading to the desktop, nothing else had been done.

Pretty interesting. Something about emailing caused the file to be changed slightly.

When binary information (like a picture) is e-mailed, it is encoded at the sending side, and then decoded on the receiving side. Perhaps in this process some data is lost?

Most reactions

Back