Just about to purchase....Any last thoughts

kirbym2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

I've beefed up my arsenal with some lighting that I was sorely in need of. Thanks to Derrel for the suggestions. I've picked up a couple of Flashpoint 320M kits with stand and umbrella (no battery pack). I would have gone for more, but I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 80-200mm f/2.8D Nikon lens.

My main subjects are family related. Combo of indoor and outdoor shoots. Even planning to help out a friend with a wedding in the spring. It's just not financially possible at this point to get the 70-200mm.

Any last minute thoughts. The reviews seem good, but I'm worried I'll be disappointed with the lack of VR, and apparent slow focus speed. Anyone with experience using this lens for portraits or events?

Thanks in advance!

I use my 80-200/2.8 AFD in varying conditions.

The main item which I mentioned in another thread is do not expect it to AF quickly between long movements. For instance in soccer I keep pushing the release half way to AF so that it is very quick when I need it. Don't wait a long time with extensive movement then expect it to AF in a snap.

If you are doing an outdoor "family/people" type event, I don't think you'll have a problem.
it's good enough for all my kids soccer games
20131012_Oct 12 - a set on Flickr

matter fact I was using my really slow AF 75-300 push pull with the same technique and doing really well.

as long as you keep the shutter speed high by using your ISO in darker situations you'll be fine without VR.

I just sent you a PM about one for sale in your neighborhood.

The main item which I mentioned in another thread is do not expect it to AF quickly between long movements.

That depends on the camera body. With the newer cameras where the in-body focus motor is considered just a supplemental feature focus is probably slow. On older cameras (and newer pro cameras) with high-torque motors it's not an issue. Remember, before AF-S lenses became popular cameras were designed to drive the lens focus. The 80-200 was the top of the line lens in it's range for quite awhile and did just fine for pro sports when coupled with a capable camera body.

Do it! My 70-200 has become my favourite lens. I can't see the 80-200 being that different and I don't feel like the VR is that essential...

My Nikon 80-200mm 2.8d is my favorite lens. I'm very happy to own it.
I use it for portraits often, outside.

Most reactions

Back