What's new

Just an exercise in lighting

Nice. I think you needed white cards on both sides just to hold the edges...
 
Yeah, tough to do it the way I was trying. I was going for a very dark image with the cracked glass pattern grabbing the light. i agree white cards would have helped.


here's a different lighting setup:


Blue Champagne Flute 2 by The Braineack, on Flickr


Same lighting setup, slightly different approach:


Blue Champagne Flute 3 by The Braineack, on Flickr
 
Last edited:
Found a cleaner flute, I think this result is better:


Champagne Flute by The Braineack, on Flickr

I was hoping the cracked glass would result in something more interesting, but I like this better.
 
Oh, I think all three of your most recent shots each have some nice things going on!!! I totally love the blue tones! Nice!
 
I also like this better. You've retained enough of the flute sides that they're not lost. (black cards/ "negative lighting" will help hold them against a light BG)
I don't like the table edge/hard transition. An "infinity" BG (i.e. paper) would be better, or you could stand the flute on top of another one turned upside down. That raises the flute up the BG and away from the table, and the inverted flute acts as "the reflection."

I also think you were very close w/ the first image...just needed to regain the sides.

It's also "more typical" for the top rim to be almost flat as in your last image... that tends to look "best" in most situations.
 
I fool around some more and see what I can come up with.
 
Very nice final result! Balancing two glasses like that does have it's risks :wink:.
Even more impressive is that you stuck with it to the end.
 
If I hadn't just read about the trick on for the last one I would have been stumped how it was done. It was cool to see the progression on this project.
 
Very nice. Great job of holding the edges this time.
Makes me happy.

BTW, the inverted glass thing isn't quite as useful on a constant BG...it still works, but it can also be a distraction... creative choices and all...
 
Last edited:
I think your lighting skills are progressing very nicely, Braineack!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom