What's new

Just An Experiment

Are they witches balls?
 
O.K., I admit to being stumped on this one. These images are very interesting, and I've been trying to figure out how you did it. Is the light in the background the light shining through the balls? I can't wait for "take 2".
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #6
O.K., I admit to being stumped on this one. These images are very interesting, and I've been trying to figure out how you did it. Is the light in the background the light shining through the balls? I can't wait for "take 2".

Oh good, "Stumped" is exactly what I was going for! :lmao:
I might tell eventually, if no one figures out what they are.
 
I think they look really nice!
 
i was "not out" for the first two, but stumped for the last; in the first two, the background dominates over the subject
But in the last, it does not happen; further in this image the color on the balls is different from that in the B/G; so that helps to keep the distinction very well
Are they Christmas tree balls?

Regards :D
 
What's interesting is that there's no reflection of the camera in play here.

I am going to go with ball bearings on a mirror, sprayed down with either water or mineral oil. The setup is more interesting than the subject, though, to control the reflections. I kind of want to guess a lite-brite or similar kid's toy to get the the lighting.

Lotta technical problems solved here. Well done. Not really my kind of result, but I respect the work!
 
Nobody knows what a Witches ball is? This one is larger than a softball, but smaller than a standard globe. I buy my grand kids one every year that's roughly the size of a Christmas ornament. Little bigger.
They were hung in windows to ward off spells or evil. They were traditionally blue. Many of the ones I have seen have "drips" of glass inside of them.

$IMG_6199 as Smart Object-1.webp
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #13
Nobody knows what a Witches ball is? This one is larger than a softball, but smaller than a standard globe. I buy my grand kids one every year that's roughly the size of a Christmas ornament. Little bigger.
They were hung in windows to ward off spells or evil. They were traditionally blue. Many of the ones I have seen have "drips" of glass inside of them.

View attachment 18207

Oh, I know what they are; and the one you posted is particularly beautiful, by the way. I was just making a joke based on Designer's comment. ;)
These are not nearly as big as most of the witches' balls I've ever seen. <brief pause as OP attempts to refrain from making yet another bad joke about having seen witches' balls.>
And you can't hang these in the window. Or on a tree. Not easily, anyway. :D
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #14
What's interesting is that there's no reflection of the camera in play here.

I am going to go with ball bearings on a mirror, sprayed down with either water or mineral oil. The setup is more interesting than the subject, though, to control the reflections. I kind of want to guess a lite-brite or similar kid's toy to get the the lighting.

Lotta technical problems solved here. Well done. Not really my kind of result, but I respect the work!

Glad you find it interesting, at least!

It's not ball bearings, though, although THAT's an interesting idea. And there were no lite-brites involved in the making of these photos. :lol:

Honestly, it MAY not be something a lot of people are all that familiar with, although it IS something that is fairly readily available, at least around here. I got mine at a Dollar Tree store.
 
Those things that go in a plant that look like a witches ball!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom