Just bought a Canon S90 for Europe. SLR --> at home

Is it a mistake to bring a P&S to Europe instead of the SLR?

• You're about to make a mistake, Jeremy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Your shoulder will thank you and you won't miss any shots.

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeremy Z

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wish me luck!

I went to Europe a few times in the last 5 years. (my wife's Polish, so I'm lucky in that regard)

The first time, I brought my trusty Olympus C-750 UZ. (prosumer superzoon camera) 38mm "wide angle" did not cut muster.

The next time, I brought my trusty Olympus OM-1n w/ 50mm f/1.8, 28mm f/3.5, 135mm f/3.5, and Sigma 28-85 3.5-4.5. Got great pix that time, but had a sore shoulder. ;)

The next time, I brought my then newly acquired Pentax K100D with the two kit lenses. Best pix ever; the 28mm equivalent is a minimum requirement for Europe. But I also got tired of carrying this humble kit around all day, every day.

I went on business once after that and only brought my nice little Canon SD600 Elph that I really love. So small, yet such good quality. But again, with that 35mm "wide angle" there were some times when I was kicking myself. (think huge church right across the street with no room to back up and fit it in)

So the other day, I just ordered up a [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B002LITT42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1267286019&sr=1-1]Canon S90 from Amazon.[/ame]

Canon's page on the S90

It has the optical image stabilizer that my SD600 doesn't have, the 28-105 equiv. zoom, and the f/2 lens (@ 28mm) I bet I'm going to have a ball.

What do you guys think? Will I regret not bringing the SLR?

Has anyone else here ever left 'the big gun' at home in favor of a P&S?

All the time!!!

I travel with both an TZ5 and LX3 with either a small hotshoe flash (Leica SF24D) or my Metz 28 CS-2 optical slave flash. The idea is to have fun! I don't consider them to a replacement to my "other cameras"; M8, G1, 1d MII, Pentax/Samsung GX-1L..... just a different tool for different job.

The S90 doesn't have an external hotshoe for flash. Its the same limitation as when I was shooting with the TZ5 a lot. I highly recommend getting the Metz 28 CS-2. Wonderful pocket flash for P&Sters...

I posted about it here:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...s/176457-p-shooters-flash-metz-28-cs-2-a.html

LX3 + Metz CS-2 off camera held high at arm's length.
380236936.jpg

If you're a serious photographer, then bring your gear.

...or...

If you're a serious photographer, you'll get a good image with any camera.

Meh, both will work. I usually go in the middle - one SLR, one prime lens, that's it, which forces me to shoot within the limitations of the gear I bring.

Or do what Usayit and I do - buy a Rangefinder. The best possible images, from the size of a big P&S.

Most reactions

Back