Recommendation for 2nd lens

What to get for my second lens for my micro 4/3 body?

• Wide angle zoom

• Lens cap fisheye

• 35mm (eq.) prime

• Telephoto zoom

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jeremy Z

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just ordered up a micro 4/3 camera, an Olympus E-M10 III, with the kit lens, the pancake electric 14-42/3.5-5.6. (28-80mm equiv.) I'm told it is a decent lens. 28-80 is a decent, useful range, but I do find myself missing a smidge more wide angle and a smidge more telephoto pretty often. I was originally thinking to get something like a 24-120 (equiv) lens as my main lens. I had one for my FF Nikon SLR, and it was just wonderful. Moderately fast and quite flexible, without being over-the-top. But since much of that range is duplicated by the kit lens and by my FZ1000's lens, I thought maybe I should try something else.

Here are my typical subjects:
  • Family photos
  • Travel photos
  • Candids
...and here are some other lens options I've been thinking of:
  • A wide angle zoom? For years, I never had one, but I finally got one for that tiny Pentax SLR of a few years ago and was shocked at how useful they are. Nothing I've currently got duplicates a proper wide angle zoom lens.
  • The lens cap fisheye? These are also super-fun. I had one of these on my micro Pentax SLR too.
  • A prime? I really like a fast 35mm (equiv) prime. Either a 2.8 pancake or 1.7 normal.
  • A basic, inexpensive telephoto zoom? It's duplicated on the FZ1000 though...

My other cameras are a Panasonic FZ1000, a 1" sensored bridge camera with a nice fast 24-400 (equiv.) lens and a Pentax MX-1, a 1/1.7" sensored point & shoot. I have telephoto covered with the Panasonic. The Pentax is compact and has a great lens, but is limited by its small sensor.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Get a fast prime for low light. The Olympus should be the best of the cameras you have for that.

Or...

Sell the FZ1000. Use that money to buy used copies of the 40-150mm and 9-18mm.

The switch should cost less than $50. So you're basically saving a bunch of money by doing that.

As a gear hoarder, I then advise to spend the money you saved on a smart investment. A used fast prime.

In the end you'll have turned 1 piece of gear into 3.

Options:
  • Longer
    • Panasonic-Lumix 12-60 (NOT the Panasonic-Leica lens)
      • This is your FF 24-120 equivalent lens
      • This is my light/travel GP lens
      • With this lens, you may want the 40-150R as a longer companion lens.
    • Olympus 14-150 (FF 28-300 equivalent)
      • This is a nice wide range GP/travel lens
      • Longer reach than the 12-60.
    • Olympus 40-150R (NOT the f/2.8 lens)
      • Long companion lens to most of the kit lenses.
      • Very light and relatively inexpensive, at less than $100 refurbished.
  • Shorter
    • Olympus 9-18
  • Primes
    • Olympus 17-1.8 (this is the FF 35mm equivalent lens)
      • This is my indoor low light companion lens.
    • Panasonic 20 (this is a short normal lens)
    • Olympus 25/1.8 (this is a normal lens)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back