What's new

Just Bought A D5300 - Need Advice

CrazyChef

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 8, 2016
Messages
38
Reaction score
9
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, like the title says, I just purchased a D5300 body to replace my D3300. So my question is, should I keep the D3300 body or sell it? Is there any reason (other than having a backup) that I would need it?

While I have your attention...

In your expert opinions (I'm still quite the noob), what would you consider to be the main pros and cons of the D5300 compared to the D3300? I bought the D5300 specifically for the WiFi capabilities (I have the WU-1a for the D3300, but just couldn't seem to get it to work properly), but I'm curious if there are any other perks to it compared to the D3300.

Thanks in advance for your input!
 
Congrats on your new camera!

I traded in my D3200 for a D5600 a couple of weeks ago. I just had no need for, or desire to keep the D3200.

The variable angle screen was my main reason for the upgrade, but the WiFi was an added bonus, since setting up the Bluetooth connection with my IPhone, I find it to be more convenient than I ever thought it would be. I also have found the controls much more convenient to use.
 
Unless you decide you really need a backup camera, I'd sell the D3300. It's older tech and it will keep getting older. Right now, it's an ideal camera for someone who is starting out and that makes it attractive. In a year or so....probably not so much. Fortunately, there are always things photographic to spend your money on!
 
I traded in my old camera for peanuts, and regretted that decision almost immediately. Do you foresee any use f the D3300? If not, sell it or give it to a friend or family member who will use it. (with a lens) It will give you a good excuse to upgrade a lens as well.
 
Two bodies can help if you shoot events where you need to cover the action with two lenses with no time to change. I have two bodies and one has a grip on it and the other without the grip, so I go with the body that best meets the situation. It has also come in handy covering large events where I have someone else shoot with the other body.

I actually received my first DSLR as someone else had upgraded and gave me their old camera, so if you have the opportunity to give the old camera away you may find somebody very thankful for your gesture.
 
Main benefits of the D5300 are the articulating screen and the better autofocus system (39 focus points vs 9 focus points. I have a D5200 and a D7200 and sometimes use both with different lenses. Usually a 35mm prime on one and an 18mm-140mm zoom on the other. If you don't think you will use the D3300, sell it. I like having a backup myself.
 
Just become a hoarder. mountains of camera bodies all over the floor, you never know when you might need it
 
I have a D5300 and really like the camera. I use the articulating screen and the GPS but don't use the WiFi as I don't have a fancy phone to use with it. Also like that there are sensors for the remote both on the front and the rear. I have the 18-140 lens and keep the two together most of the time.
Having one backup camera that works well is a good thing, especially if it's not worth a lot of money so you can keep it around. I've had to use a D80 I keep around a couple of times to save my butt on a job.
 
Depends on what you can get for it. I personally like to carry 2 bodies. One for wide angle and the other for tele but that is just me.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom