just bought my slaves

edouble

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just bought two sb800's! They will be my slaves for a while until I upgrade my camera body to one that has a built in speedlight commander. I am so stoked to start shooting with off camera flash!

BTW I plan on triggering these bad boys with my on camera flash so obviously I will be shooting with manual flash settings.

I have to say the wireless is awesome. Ive been using the Nikon CLS with a D300s as the commander and an SB-600 and two SR-B200's. Very convenient.

Unfortunately my D5000 doesn't have Nikon's CLS. On the flip side fortunately it doesn't. This will force me to operate the off camera flash the grass roots way.

The D300s is my next camera body fo'sho!!!!

Even though the D300s has commander capability I would still recommend getting the SU-800 unit. I wish I had. Having to go into the camera menu to make flash adjustments is kind of a pain. Still nice to have though.

Unfortunately my D5000 doesn't have Nikon's CLS.
Your D5000 is compatible with Nikon's CLS. It just doesn't have the Commander mode function.

The SB-800's you just bought do have the Commander mode function.

Last edited:
Unfortunately my D5000 doesn't have Nikon's CLS.
Your D5000 is compatible with Nikon's CLS. It just doesn't have the Commander mode function.

The SB-800's you just bought do have Commander mode function.

You are right I should have worded that differently.

I might buy a PC hot shoe and PC cables just to test out HSS. I actaully do not know yet if HSS is possible with the D5000. I have read that it is with the D40 and other lower end models. This will be a huge learning experience for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back