Just converted to Nikon, 1st pics

jess28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just abandoned my Canon in favor of a Nikon, and found this board. Before the Canon I had a Minolta DSLR that I loved, and just never developed the same love for the Canon. So far I'm really liking the Nikon. I'm still trying to figure everything out, but these are from the first ten shots with the camera.

33vdldk.jpg

2na89k7.jpg

I didn't actually mean to use a flash on this one, it would be much better without the flash glare in her glasses.

Last edited:
Welcome to Nikon land! :)

Welcome fellow Nikon Fan

The D40 is a great camera, I wish I still had mine!

Looks like your first photos are pretty good with the exception of the flash which you already knew, but still... nice job.

Enjoy

NIKON FOR THE WIN! And might I add... WELCOME!!!

LOL, yep. I was shunned on the Canon board for even asking about a Nikon. Something about it just feels better to me, I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet. I think it feels a lot more like the Minolta I liked so much.

Thanks for the nice welcome!

go Canon! ;)

just had to throw that one in there

LOL, yep. I was shunned on the Canon board for even asking about a Nikon. Something about it just feels better to me, I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet. I think it feels a lot more like the Minolta I liked so much.

Thanks for the nice welcome!

sony is the new minolta .... did you look at them? .......... canon!

I hated my Minolta SLR film camera.

Really? The Maxxum SLR was my first camera, and the DSLR was my grand splash into the addiction. Maybe the fact that it is what I started with made it more comfortable for me.

I didn't look at the Sony, I actually traded my Canon to someone who had a Nikon and wanted to go Canon. (So score one for both sides on this one!)

Heh, that's what I had, the Maxxum HTxi Plus.
Hated it. I flat out quit taking pictures.
I found it rather cumbersome to use it manually.
My first camera was a Canon AE-1. fully manual. I loved it. It made sense.
My first Digi P&S was a Nikon CoolPix 990, then a Canon PowerShot.
I am loving my Canon Rebel. I love the layout of the controls. Again, it makes sense.
Mind you, I read review after review, and just went and bought the Rebel XSi, without even physically looking at any other camera.

I'd like to know why you didn't like your Canon. I know you can't quite put your finger on it, but I am curious. Was it the feel in your hand, control layout, image quality...?

I hated my Minolta SLR as well. Our D60 is light years beyond the Minolta.

I really like the flower photo. Nice focus. However, the second photo looks like a less than average snapshot to me. The flash kills it. Particularly the flash reflections on the glasses. The girl is cute as a button though.

weeelcome to the dark side of photography! the force is strong with this one!

joking aside. i think you will love your d40. i have the d60 but not much between them and i definitely love mine. i had the chance to use the 40d and while i do not argue that it is a better camera than mine, it just doesn't feel good in my hands. the menus are also more complicated.

Heh, that's what I had, the Maxxum HTxi Plus.
Hated it. I flat out quit taking pictures.
I found it rather cumbersome to use it manually.
My first camera was a Canon AE-1. fully manual. I loved it. It made sense.
My first Digi P&S was a Nikon CoolPix 990, then a Canon PowerShot.
I am loving my Canon Rebel. I love the layout of the controls. Again, it makes sense.
Mind you, I read review after review, and just went and bought the Rebel XSi, without even physically looking at any other camera.

I'd like to know why you didn't like your Canon. I know you can't quite put your finger on it, but I am curious. Was it the feel in your hand, control layout, image quality...?

Well everything you just mentioned about why you love your rebel, is why I didn't like the rebel.

I thought it felt like a toy in my hands. I didn't like the button or menu layout at all, and they didn't make sense to me. The nikon on the other hand feels like a sturdy piece of machinery!

Most reactions

Back