just got Photoshop Elements 10...

Sammie_Lou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was previously using Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 Ultimate...and I use the word "using" lightly, as I didn't really have it figured out. Now that I have Elements 10, is there any reason for me to keep the Corel or even leave it installed on my computer?? Or does it do anything that Elements 10 won't do?? Thanks in advance!

Honestly? None. I have thousands and thousands of dollars worth of actions and stuff that I never use. I THOUGHT I would use them... I began collecting them. I used them a few times and... nothing. And it's not something I can really re-sell! Instead I made my own actions to do what I wanted to do.
The Coffee shop blog has a bunch of freebies. Start with the freebies and play with them. I think you will find that you really don't use them much at all when you learn how to process and you learn what YOUR style is.
Of all of the ones I own I use ONE kubota action once in a great while (I own Kubota 1-4 or 5 or something like that, plus some with names) and ONE set of florabella once in a GREAT while.

This is how PS impaired I am - I have no idea what an action is or what it does. lol I literally JUST picked it up and installed it on my computer. Are there any good tutorial sites that teach you the capabilities??

The coffee shop blog is a good resource. YouTube is a GREAT resource.
actions do all kinds of different things! Edit your photos, change your contrast, change your sharpening, color... Just about anything you can do in editing an action can be made for. It can't clone or "pixel edit" for the most part, but everything else? yep!

Photokaboom.com
Tons of tutorials!

Texaschicksblogsandpics.com

I'd stay away from actions for now. It's better to know how to edit yourself versus using actions made by someone else.

Coffeshopblog has tons if free actions but there are also a bunch of tutorials on how her actions are created!

Thanks!! Can I ask for a little bit of C&C on these?? Not so much on the images themselves (they're ones I took literally a couple days after I got my camera), but on the PP for them?? It would be greatly appreciated. The first one is the original, the second one is the edited one...

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0127-1.jpg

Last edited:
Both are VERY off in color the first one is closer to correct, however it is a touch to the cool side. The second one has your subjects looking orange, kinda like the oompa loompas.
You have brightened better in the second one.
It seems to have caught focus on the center girl's hand and your eyes are a little soft. Use only one focus point and lock it where you want to have your focus. If you use all of the focus points it allows the camera to pick and choose what it wants to focus on. It will take the brightest and most contrast in the image.
This is a good, basic snapshot of an after event win.
You need to begin looking at and learning the rules of composition-and then learning when and how to break them! Here's a great website to get you started Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition.

Thanks, I was just looking for input on the post processing. I know it's just a snapshot. Like I said, it's months old from when I first got my camera. It was taken at a weird time of day and it made it have a grey cast - almost dusk, but not quite...and overcast. I just wanted to mess with the colors a bit to brighten it up for my stepmom's photo albums. Thanks!

I literally JUST picked it up and installed it on my computer. Are there any good tutorial sites that teach you the capabilities??
Open Photoshop Elements to the edit workspace. Press F1 on your keyboard (or click on the HELP tab, and select Photoshop Elements Help in the drop down box). That will take you directly to Adobe Community Help. Look for the tutorial labeled - Getting Started and Tutorials.

Join the forum at www.elementsvillage.com.

I love my PSE. I use it for organizing, editing and burning CDs. I have found that it is very user friendly and just playing with it has been a great way to learn how things work. You might want to write down what you have tried though because sometimes I'll do something really cool then forget where it was. The coolest part of the newer versions of PSE is the 'smart brush' too. In 'full edit' mode its the brush with the gear next to it. THe hardest part of PSE is remembering what edit mode has what. Once you figure that part out its easy. The help section on line is a great resource that goes step by step. Use it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back