Just got the Tokina atx-i 100mm 2.8 FF Macro but...

mndmeld

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
Brand newb here so apologies for basically anything/everything - need to learn the ropes.

I have a Nikon D5600 and I just got the Tokina atx-i 100mm 2.8 FF Macro - actually ordered the older version but there was a stock issue and they gave me the latest version.

I knew there were going to be some compatibility issues with my older model Nikon body (autofocus etc) but given the great pricing and reviews, I thought it would be worth it anyway plus a great learning curve for me - I have much to learn! But I was not expecting quite so many compatibility issues.
The photos I take don’t always write to the SD card with no warnings or indication. I can’t always review photos taken in camera. It’s really finicky to put it mildly.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this the norm?
The store tried to tell me I had a camera fault and that I must have dropped my camera. My camera is fine and has not been dropped. Works perfectly with my other lenses plus it’s only about a year old anyway. I’m just trying to understand what to expect.
Is this lens not a good fit for this camera model?

Would appreciate any insight into how these two pieces of equipment work together.

Thanks - M

It sounds to me more like the camera, but if other lenses write the files correctly, then we must look at the possibility that the lens is the culprit. I have never heard of a lens causing write-to-card issues.

It sounds to me more like the camera, but if other lenses write the files correctly, then we must look at the possibility that the lens is the culprit. I have never heard of a lens causing write-to-card issues.

I don’t actually think there’s anything wrong with the lens (though I guess I can’t know for sure.) I just feel like the lens and the camera aren’t communicating well. Maybe something about the latest model of the Tokina causes more incompatibilities with this model camera? Honestly, I got nothing :confused-55:

The only issues I have read about with Tokina and Nikon bodies are auto focussing problems, nothing about data not be recorded.

Last edited:
The only issues I have read about with Tokina and Nikon bodies are auto focussing problems, nothing about data not be recorded.

Well... I’ll just persevere then. Thank you.

Is it possible that the camera never took the shots in question? If you have the release mode set such that the camera will not shoot if out of focus, maybe you're hitting the shutter button yet the camera will not shoot and there will be no file to review.

Is it possible that the camera never took the shots in question? If you have the release mode set such that the camera will not shoot if out of focus, maybe you're hitting the shutter button yet the camera will not shoot and there will be no file to review.

The photos were in the camera. I was able to snapbridge them to my phone/iPad to at least see them/play with them. I also saw them as I took them, too, as opposed to a previous session when I was unable to view any of the images in the camera yet the images were all ok on the SD card??
They certainly weren’t good photos :02.47-tranquillity: I’m not used to having zero autofocus yet. Kinda missing that to be honest, but I was expecting that and was prepared for that learning curve. But I just wondered if because it’s the updated version of the lens if there was a possibility of more than just that going on. I know it’s a long shot, but I thought it was worth asking the question to see if anyone else had noticed any quirks, too.

Does it do this with other lenses?

No, only this lens.

No, only this lens.
Hmmmm, Sounds like something with the lens is messing with the camera's electronics. I'd try to return it.

Thanks for the feedback. I might try again. The store wasn’t helpful when I first spoke to them, but I’ll be persistent.

Most reactions

Back