I used Photoshop blending modes applied selectively to alter the tone response, but had to do that with your JPEG file. A CR2 is a complete game changer in that regard. What processing software do you have?
Here's the histograms for your image:
View attachment 118625
The luminosity histogram is very telling -- you've got to get it shifted further to the right and spread out better over the entire range. If you care to put the CR2 file on dropbox I'd can show you what I would do.
Joe
I loaded image 2 & 3 up on
google drive, hope that works OK. I definitely need to learn how to properly read the histograms.
Thanks for taking a look at these.
I think you took a lovely photo here, congrats! Here's what I came up with processing your raw file:
It's tricky because you want to keep the late day feeling, accentuate the sky color and still keep some light in the photo.
You mention reading histograms. A histogram is a graph of the tonal/color data in your photo laid over a range that represents the final output target. We process photos to an industry standard output target defined by the range of tone/color that we can fit onto a photographic print. When you look at a histogram and see the left (black) wall and right (white) wall you're looking at that print range. The values are 0 for black and 255 for white. As a basic rule we try and make our photso fit that range (makes sense if you ultimately want prints). If the photo falls short as in your first version then it will typically be flat -- lacking contrast with either no whites, no blacks or neither. It will look murky.
If the graph of the photo's tone piles up against the right wall then you're "clipping", "blowing out", posterizing the highlights -- you lose texture and tone variation and get a solid white/light color region in the photo which is generally pretty ugly. If the graph of the photo's tone piles up against the left wall then you're "clipping", "crushing", the shadows into black. As a rule we want the photo to reach black but only slightly. In your photo I pushed hard on black which shows in the histogram with the blacks piled up against the left wall:
It helps with the late-day feeling to have some extra black in the photo and it also covers up noise in the shadows of that tree line since you were forced to use a high ISO to take the photo. If a lower ISO had been possible a different approach would have been to back off on the black push and raise contrast in the shadows instead -- in this case too much noise for that.
The struggle with your photo here is to get the sky color and rich saturation and still stretch the histogram over the full range. I used Adobe Camera Raw because I believe you mentioned you have LR. I only have LR at work now but I have Photoshop at home. So you can see everything I did, heres a link to the XMP file that contains all the processing.
IMG_1073.XMP You should be able to copy the XMP file into the folder with your raw file and then LR should read it and show you what I did. Note that I used gradients and adjustment brushes for this photo. If this doesn't work for you let me know.
Joe