K1000 light meter issues

earthmanbuck

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just trying to decide which lens I wanted to take out with my Pentax K1000 and I noticed the light meter doing some wacky stuff with a couple of them—specifically, it either just stays in the middle no matter the level of light, or it actually dips down to the underexposed side when I increase the light.

Neither of the lenses it's doing this for are K-mounts. One of them is an M42 I was using with a K adapter, and the other is an F-mount that's permanently had a K-mount attached. I'm assuming that has something to do with it, though I'd like to know specifically why (just for my own curiosity's sake). I tested the battery and it's fine, and the light meter also does what it should with a K-mount lens. Any help?

M42 lenses used with a K adapter aren't meter coupled the way actual K-mount lenses are.

Do the M42 lenses you are usng have an A/M switch?

M42 lenses used with a K adapter aren't meter coupled the way actual K-mount lenses are.

Do the M42 lenses you are usng have an A/M switch?

The lack of an A/M switch is often an issue, there's M42 lenses I'd use on a Canon EOS if they had the switch. Without the switch the lenses can't be stopped down with an adaptor attached.

I have a few Tamron SP lenses and their interchangeable mounts make them ideal to use on my Spotmatics and SV or my K mount cameras. HAving the Tamron F/ESII M42 mount means full aperture metering with my Spotmatic F always my favourite 35mm SLR.

Ian

Thanks folks. The M42 lens does not have an A/M switch, so that explains it. The other one is a Nikon mount that has had a K-mount adapter permanently attached. It does have an A/M switch, but I imagine the use of an adapter has similarly prevented it from coupling with the meter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back