Kaleidoscoping... (addicting)

jadin

The Mad Hatter
Reaction score
Website
jadinhanson.smugmug.com
Kaleidoscope your photos! (I use canvas size, and mirror, flip, or both) Gives them an abstract feel and is just plain fun to see how they turn out. Just might be as addicting as negativing things.

DSC_2973hx2.jpg

Dsc_0771x2.jpg

Last edited:
Dang. I can't seem to find the mirror function.
I do find "flip horizontally" or "flip vertically" all right, but then my original only is in mirror VIEW or upside down, that's all. That is not yet kaleidoscoping! Please explain more, for a PS dummie like myself, will you? I want to get hooked on yet something else :greenpbl:

Will do!

To start off use copy on the whole image. Use canvas size to double one of the directions, (width or height). For example if you had an 800x600 image and you wanted to mirror the height, you would make it 800x1200. At the same time you could use 200 percent instead.

Then select the new area, and paste the original image into the selection. Now you can use the flip vertically command. It should look like a mirror straight through the middle. (bottom photo)

If you want, you can repeat the above to double the width as well and make it a rectangle (middle photo). Or you could only mirror the horizontal. Quite a few possibilities, and each can drastically change the outcome.

I think I've got it.

But some steps needed to be taken differently from how you described it. Could be because I am too silly.

But I found out that,

-after duplicating the original image (so you save that in its original version!),

- you have to FIRST rotate it either horizontally or vertically, whatever are your plans,

- then copy that flipped version (so that copy stays in the memory),

- flip it back to normal,

- then double the canvas size (new part of canvas will be grey),

- and then paste the previously copied (flipped) version of the picture into that grey area (outlining it first, saying "paste" then).

If you then want to make a four-fold kaleidoscope,

- you have to flip both images,

- copy them - this time using the "copy merged" button (so again the flipped version stays in the memory),

- flip it back,

- double the canvas size

- and paste the double+flipped version in there.

This is what I managed to get out of these steps:

Links gone :(

You think I got it?
I, for my part, feel positively hooked!

Last edited:
Oh yeah: quite positively hooked (oh my, what did you do???)

Last edited:
The effects can be quite peculiar:
And you can produce all sorts of versions, depending on from where you double your image in size (top or bottom, left or right):

My! Jadin!
What can I do to you now for hooking me so? ;)

Last edited:
Don't!
You'll be LOST!

To be lost in art
can it be worse than haikus
Probably it's not

Or the limerick thread I do?
It's worth it to be cool as you
To try this new art
I'm willing to start
You're right, I'm probably through

This is PURE MADNESS!

And totally carried away :drunk:

Link gone :(
(I'm afraid I have even more, but now I will lean back and wait and see what others come up with :popcorn: )

Last edited:
No one? OK. Away with the popcorn. More LaFoto-kaleidoscopes! (Or mirror pictures, as well):

This one is BULGING, or so it seems:

Only mirrored:

Cheating, but well, at last I got a whole rainbow into "one" (erm...) picture:

And you can do this ad infinitum, forever and ever, until you can knit your new sweater after the pattern taken from your own photos! :roll:

(This was the original photo:
Link gone :()

Last edited:
watch out...Here comes Jo Cose!!

LaFoto, My technique is a little easier than yours. I copy the image onto a second layer, then I flip it (either horiz or vert), then I change the canvas accordingly and move the image on the second layer to the correct place. If I want to do it again, then I will merge the two layers into one, again copy it onto another layer, flip it, change the canvas and move it. Does that make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back