Kids at play

LizM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, first photo uploaded here - what do you think?
Be honest!!! (I can take it) Maybe! :p

yahoooo.jpg

Lovely colours given by the bright sunshine that you had when you took this photo. All I would do is crop the legs of the children who are still waiting for their go. They are quite distracting. And cropping is easily done, most easily to any photo. I think that's all. Other than that this is a very nice photo of Children At Play. (Too late for the February-contest, though, alas! ... you may look at other examples in the archives of the contest pages).

I had wondered about the legs and cropping is fine for digital display but I was having trouble leaving enough of the slide in the shot if I crop the legs out when dealing with print size aspect ratios.

Thanks!

I lik the fact that you stopped the movement, I would move the shot down to lose the other people at the top & maybe get their landing zone if you could...

just my 2 cents!!!

I believe there is enough room to crop from the left border as well as the top and still maintain the ratio.

The 3 children comprise the focal point. Exclude anything other than the main subject so nothing competes with it for attention.

This is a nice picture for a scrap book that documents an event.

canonrebel said:

Actually, this was for a local newspaper I write for. Still, with photojournalism you don't always have time to plan and get the shot just like you want. For example, the landing zone was hidden by a shifting crowd of kids and adults.

Thanks for the comments though everyone!

LizM said:
canonrebel said:

Actually, this was for a local newspaper I write for. Still, with photojournalism you don't always have time to plan and get the shot just like you want. For example, the landing zone was hidden by a shifting crowd of kids and adults.

I understand exactly what you mean.

Lovely colours given by the bright sunshine that you had when you took this photo. All I would do is crop the legs of the children who are still waiting for their go. They are quite distracting.

ditto!

Actually, this was for a local newspaper I write for. Still, with photojournalism you don't always have time to plan and get the shot just like you want.

But don' they have photo editors at newspapers edits/crops the images?

This is a cropped image. And believe it or not, what we print is better than a lot of stuff I've seen out there most of the time. i had some pretty unrealistic expectations of quality when I started shooting for the paper but I've found out that photojournalism is much more about the subject than the shot itself (bummer).

Oh well, you can bet I'll be there next time they have a slide set up to try again!

LizM said:
I've found out that photojournalism is much more about the subject than the shot itself (bummer).

:cry: that is unfortunate, and i agree, many newspapers out there are disappointing from a humanistic standpoint. i hear the new york times is written at a 4th grade english level too. i could swear that my city's paper is written by 4th graders :lol:

good photo, the bouncing kid is great

4th grade reading level is about average for the larger papers. I actually heard of one reporter getting fussed at for writing on a 10th grade level I think it was.

That's one thing I do like about the paper I write/shoot for - they don't dare tell me to "dumb down" my writing.

Most reactions

Back