Kiev 88?

tgman5050

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i been noticing these kiev 88 cameras on ebay for a few months now, nad am wondering if anyone knows anything about them or has used one with good results. i've been hoping to get my hands on a semi-cheap med. format camera. is this a good buy?

Check out Popular Photography's review of the new model.
The older ones will be similar. The Kiev 88 is basically a Hasselblad
copy. They should be reliable cameras. The main drawback I saw with the one they reviewed was that the flash sync speed was only 1/30.

Also, only the eye-level viewfinder has a meter, and the Kiev uses a manual meter where you twist dials on the viewfinder to get the correct exposure, then transfer the suggested aperture and shutterspeed to the camera.

Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=887&page_number=1

www.kievusa.com - this is the absolute cheapest med.format setup you'll get your hands on.

I have two 88 bodies, 4 120 backs and a fairly wide range of lenses and accessories. As a matter of fact, I'm trying to sell them.

My personal oppinion of this camera - a really good way to snag a medium format setup. Pros won't touch it, but I think it's a good starter. BUT, it does have it's drawbacks.

This camera can be considered no less than COMPLETELY manual - just meter everything on your own. Hell, all my stuff is written in RUSSIAN! The Kiev 88 is said to have been based on stolen Hassey designs when the Russians took East Germany. It looks NEARLY identical if you're not looking too close. But the Russians didn't really have the quality of metals and glass available to them, so they did with what they had.

The result is a camera that's as heavy as and handles like a TANK. The 150mm lense is bean-shaped, so it gets in the way of my shutter release.

Now, image quality isn't bad at all. I've gotten good 16x20's out of it. It probably wouldn't stand up to pro-rigors, but I shoot portraits with it all the time. I just wish it was lighter and a bit easier to use.

Here's what I've got:

1 x Kiev88 body
1 x Kiev88C body
1 x Polaroid back
1 x Kiev 88TTL manual - (in english! heh)
2 x Waste level finders
1 x Eye level finder
1 x Eye level finder w/ light meter
1 x F2.8/120mm lense
1 x F3.5/65mm lense
2 x F2.8/80mm lense
1 x F2.8/150mm lense w/ Yellow filter
4 x 120 6x6cm film backs

I can't tell which one, but I think one of the film backs needs to be rebalanced. Make me an offer.

You can check ebay.

The Yashica D is a great camera. Especially if you can get one with the Yashinon lens. It's a Zeiss Tessar copy and at F8 is about as sharp. The Yashikor lens is a bit softer. Which actually makes a wonderful portrait camera. I got one with the Yashikor lens for $51 on ebay. MDowdey got one with the Yashinon lens for $56 (though the seller said it was a yashikor)

The Yashicamat 124G is a great camera. That is what I have now. All have the Yashinon lens (some have working meters) Actually all of the 'mats' have the Yashinon. The EM and LM.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back