Kit Lens Compliment/Replacement

_amass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently have the Canon T2i and the 18-55 kit lens. Here is my predicament, I'm trying to decide between the following three lenses.

18-135IS(to replace kit lens)
28-135USM(to replace kit lens)
55-250(to compliment kit lens)

I'm already buying the 50 f1.4 as discussed in my last thread but now I'd like to add another lens to my collection. I don't know if the 18/28-135 will really gain me IQ or sharpness. Or if I should just get the 55-250 to compliment it.

I also haven't looked into Tamron/Sigma equivalents. If you have any to suggest around the same price point that would be great!

Thanks!
-Adam

I don't think that any of those lenses that you're looking at (besides the 50mm) will give you much of an image quality improvement. Maybe a little, but probably not much.

Probably, the 'best' lens to replace your 18-55mm is the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS....but that is well over $1000.
For that reason, I used the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 ($400) for many years. Almost as good as the Canon but less than half the price.

Listen to Big Mike.

The 18-55mm kit lens is actually pretty good "optically". It's not so much the optics, but everything else you gain when you upgrade to a higher-end lens. E.g. faster and quieter USM focusing, internal focusing (so the end of the lens doesn't rotate as you focus -- which can be annoying when you're using a polarizer or other filter where orientation is important.) Some of them even have internal zoom (lens doesn't change lengths when you zoom in or out) -- although none of the lenses happen to have internal zoom. There are a lot of factors that can influence lens quality besides the quality of the glass.

BTW, the 18-55 is sharper at the long end (the 55mm end) and that's also true of the 18-135.

The 28-135 will not have a wide-angle range on your camera... basically none. It will essentially be a "normal through telephoto" and not a "wide through telephoto" range. I would only consider this lens if you're determined to upgrade to a full frame body because the 28-135 is an "EF" lens (the others are EF-S) so it can be used on either an APS-C crop-frame or a full frame body.

When I had my Rebel T1i, I also had the 55-250mm ... and honestly every time I used that lens I was disappointed. Perhaps I just had a bad copy, but I was never thrilled with the results of that lens. Also... it's very much like the 18-55 kit lens in that it lacks USM focusing motors and also lacks internal focusing.

The Canon 18-55mm kit lens is an absolutely fine lens and I see no need to replace it. I bought mine when I bought the EOS 750 back in what, 1996(?). Anyway, It is embedded in my system of my Canon T2i, Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 18-55mm kit and Tamron 28-300mm. Very happy and not planning on changing anything soon.

Hmmmmmm...so it seems like I should keep the kit lens and maybe go with the Tamron 28-300 as mentioned above. OR the Tamron 17-50. Hmmmm.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm...so it seems like I should keep the kit lens and maybe go with the Tamron 28-300 as mentioned above. OR the Tamron 17-50. Hmmmm.
Think of it this way. Just about any lens that has a zoom factor over 3X, is likely going to compromise image quality quite a bit. So something like a 28-300 (10x) is probably going to give you poor image quality...but the trade off is convenience. Also, they tend to design these lenses to be cheap and light, because those are also convenience factors.

I'm more concerned about quality than convenience, so I'd prefer to carry three or four lenses, each with a zoom range about 3X. 17-50mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm etc.
Some take that a step further and go with prime (non zoom) lenses. They usually offer even better image quality per dollar, because their design doesn't have to account for various focal lengths.

So when deciding on your choice of lens...you need to ask yourself what is most important to you...quality or convenience?

Of course, this would be easy if money grew on trees...but often we do have to make our own compromises between what would be ideal, and what we can afford at the time. Sometimes, the best solution is to just use what you have (kit lens) and save up for the lens that you really want, rather than buying something new...just because.

Well here is the line up I decided to go with. I have everything covered except a telephoto. Just debating between some Tamron's and Sigma's.

Tokina 11-16 f2.8
Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 50 f1.4
Canon 28 f.18

Then which ever telephoto I decide to go with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back