No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Laughing Kookaburra (not laughing).

EXIF: D300, 70-200VR, 1/60, f/9, ISO 800, Aperture Priority

p913192806-4.jpg

Last edited:
Nicely done. Wonderful detail in the feathers, and a non-distracting background that looks as if it could be in the wild. Kookaburras are such a sweet looking little bird ... love 'em!

Same here: I sooo like these birds! I've seen them with my own eyes in a bird park only so far, but heard one "laugh" while in Australia, and ever since that moment, these have endeared themselves to me. The intense green is a wonderful background colour (had you expected me to say otherwise??? ;) ), and all in all only ONE dot of catchlight in his eye is missing (I think), everything else is good.

Wow, very, very nice! It looks as if you were just a couple of feet away from the bird. The subject is dead centre, but somehow it works! –I assume it's because of the branch coming diagonally from the lower corner. The only little thing that bugs me is the dark thingy on the lower right corner. Beautiful capture.

You have kookaburras in Missouri? :lmao:

Great capture. Maybe a little more light on the eye would help, but still nice.

I cleaned it up a bit (about 5 minutes of work in CaptureNX... sorry about the bad original cropping, I should have fixed that originally).

p370069224-4.jpg

I like it! The eye looks much better.

Ian

I can't believe this hasn't been asked yet. Is that the "ole gum tree" he is sitting in?

This is not a critique, but a question of technique. I can understand wanting an aperture of f/9, but at ISO 800, I don't understand 1/60s. Was it getting dark?

Excellent shot btw.

I can't believe this hasn't been asked yet. Is that the "ole gum tree" he is sitting in?

This is not a critique, but a question of technique. I can understand wanting an aperture of f/9, but at ISO 800, I don't understand 1/60s. Was it getting dark?

Excellent shot btw.

It was EXTREMELY dark... I can't hold a 70-200 and get a sharp picture at any less than 1/60 and I wanted F/9 to get the bird and branch in focus...

800ISO looks good on a D300, I don't worry about going up to 1600 with it...

Most reactions

Back