Kymulga Mill & Covered Bridge

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just outside of Childersburg, AL. The mill and bridge was built in 1864 for Confederate Lt. Colonel George Forney who was killed in the Battle of the Wilderness, in Virginia before construction was completed. The Union Army burned most of the mills in the area but some how missed this one, maybe because of it's out of the way location. Surprisingly advance for it's day, the 4 story mill had not one, but three turbines powering 5 French Buhrs, and providing electricity for the site. Over the years the mill has continued to operate being sold four times till finally in 1988 the Childersburg Historical Society bought the property. They still grind corn for special occasions, but they use electrical power now rather than the turbines.
Built in 1861, the 105-foot (32 m) bridge is one of only two 19th-century covered bridges in Alabama still remaining at its original location.

Kymulga Bridge by William Raber, on Flickr

Kymulga Bridge by William Raber, on Flickr

Kymulga Mill by William Raber, on Flickr

The history that photography can bring is really interesting. Nice image set =]

Great set, I've never seen a covered bridge in real life.

@Mike Drone and @Jeff G Thanks guys.

Interesting side note. The bridge across Talledega Creek, connects to the 2nd Federal road constructed in AL. Known as the The Old GA Rd. Congress appropriated $6400 in 1806 to build a 4 ft wide path from Athens, GA to Mobile, AL. Eventually it became a part of a system of roads that would connect Washinton, DC to New Orleans. The increased traffic it brought through the Creek Nation was part of what led up to the Creek War.

Remnanents of the old road still remain at the end of the bridge that are maintained as a walking trail.

Very nice. Interesting history.

Nice and interesting set. I take it since it's "historical" now that not even horse & buggy are allowed to cross the bridge???

Nice and interesting set. I take it since it's "historical" now that not even horse & buggy are allowed to cross the bridge???

Not sure you would want to. The floor bounced a little just walking on it. I thought it was interesting that the floor had dips on each side where years of wheels had rolled

Not sure you would want to. The floor bounced a little just walking on it. I thought it was interesting that the floor had dips on each side where years of wheels had rolled

Understood. If it's a foot path only now it most likely isn't safe any longer.

Very interesting history and photos. Love historical buildings.

Nice shots. There are literally hundreds of covered bridges in the part of Canada I am from, but I have never seen one clad in metal. Very cool!

Most reactions

Back