Lake-On-The-Mountain

KJ_North

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So i took a couple photos nothing special but wanted to share this phenomenon for those not in my area. The first photo is shot from one side of the road. Then cross the road to the other side and walk barely 30' and this lake is there. Its called Lake-on-the-Mountain. Below are the facts about the lake. You can see from the first photo how far the drop is down to Lake Ontario.

This freshwater lake is one of Ontario’s natural wonders. Measuring aprox 1 sq mile, it rises aprox 200 feet above the Bay of Quinte.

For generations, the Lake on the Mountain has been shrouded in mystery. Was it created by a volcano or a meteoric collision? Is it the result of glacial whirlpools? With no apparent water source, how does the water continue to flow? Is the Lake on the Mountain bottomless?

Geologists today believe the lake is the result of a collapsed doline or sinkhole, a phenomenon common in areas where limestone is prevalent. Believed to be fed by two small streams, the most credible measurement pegs the lake at 127 feet deep.
1716563583465.png
lake-on-the-mountain3-s.jpg
lake-on-the-mountain4-s.jpg
lake-on-the-mountain5-s.jpg

I remember from the year I spent living in Canada that there are no shortages of lakes, especially in BC. Some lovely lakes up in the rockies in Alberta as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back