Lamb stock

Newtricks

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Over the summer months I slow smoked two shoulders of lamb, now that the weather is cooling off I'm thinking it's time to thaw the remnants and make stock. Been making chicken and beef stock for years, have yet to make a lamb stock. Normally I roast the bones, put them in a stock pot with enough water to cover them with a halved onion, broken carrot and celery then simmer it for 8 - 16 hours, before straining through a chinois and reducing it. There is still quite a bit of meat on these bones, not sure if I should simmer them for 20 - 30 minutes, let them cool and remove the meat for something like Shepherds pie or a stew, or simmer the meat on the bones for a stock with a deeper, more intense flavor. I'm open to suggestions?

Be well,

Anthony

ps I have a lot of bones (enough that I'm thinking the 40 quart Polarware pot needs to come out of storage), long ribs, shoulder joints and split spines.

Not a single person here makes stock from scratch...Really?

This sounds like it could be wonderful!! Someone just posted a new thread "For foodies" here, and you sound like you know what you're doing. :) This post should go in that thread, yes?

I agree that it makes sense to remove most of the meat for something else like a Shepherd's pie rather than overcooking it. The stock should get plenty of flavor from the bones and the first 30 minutes with the meat in it.

Most reactions

Back