Landscape Photo

LeftSide

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm brand new to the world of photography. I got my Rebel XTi in January, and I've been messing around with it ever since. I saw this and thought it would be a cool shot. C&C welcome (I really don't even know what that means.)

3302007988_a13950ba69_b.jpg

The sky looks like it's blown out in the top right

I have to agree about the sky. I would also like to add that the shot is a little far back from me. I am not sure what you want me to focus on as the subject. Maybe getting a little closer to one of the shuttlecocks would help the composition?

Yes, those are giant shuttlecocks. This is the front lawn of the Nelson Atkins Museum in Kansas City, MO. I was really going for the 2 horizontal lines that separate the sky, grass, and sidewalk. I was trying to keep all 3 geometrically the same. Moving closer to the shuttlecocks would have negated the walkway. I think it is a little too overexposed, and the colors seem washed out.

Last edited:
OK, but there are several problems. To summarize them:
1. Colours look washed out
2. Backlighting sucks
3. Sky is blown out
4. Image is generally overexposed.
5. The patio at the bottom isn't doing anything.
6. Composition is too centered. Especially given that its a wacky place with giant shuttlecocks. If I were you, I'd emphasize the shuttlecocks in the composition.

OK, but there are several problems. To summarize them:
1. Colours look washed out
2. Backlighting sucks
3. Sky is blown out
4. Image is generally overexposed.
5. The patio at the bottom isn't doing anything.
6. Composition is too centered. Especially given that its a wacky place with giant shuttlecocks. If I were you, I'd emphasize the shuttlecocks in the composition.

What could I do to help the colors? Other than it being overexposed.

What could I do to help the colors? Other than it being overexposed.

Proper exposure is what you really want to shoot for. If you cant properly expose consider underexposing just a little bit. For me the photo is over exposed and there is no real subject in the shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back