Larger pixels on full frame maeke for less camera shake?? :/

CdTSnap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this guy was saying to me, because of his crook shoulder he wants to upgrade from the D7100 to the D4s. He believes he will get better sharper photos because of the larger and less amount of MP's on a full frame?? wtf?? surely not.

Dpreview said on the d800 review that better techniques were required with that model due camera shake being more noticeable due its res and smaller pixels. I have read a few debates on forums about this. To me it makes sense that it should not matter but some users say it does. I think it only shows up more because 100% view on say a 36mp file is zoomed in way more than a 12mp file. Same theory goes for the d7100 and d4s, but not to same degree. I am sure someone will say and likely prove my theory wrong

I think in the user manuals it says to always use a tripod on the D800.. Which is obviously what we all do.

Well, at 100% view you're going "deeper" into the image, so any motion will show more on a higher resolution sensor. It's similar to the statement that higher resolution sensors demand better optics. The lens is still spitting out the same images, it's just that with higher resolution a "full size" view gives more magnification; allowing you to see flaws you couldn't see before.

Viewed at 100% camera shake will be more noticeable on a higher megapixel camera. Viewing at the same size though all should be equal. That just makes sense to me thinking about it but I have no references to back it up.

Good points. I just figured in real life its going to come down to techniques more than anything else.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Camera shake is somewhat reduced by image stabilization/vibration reduction technology in many of the lenses available today. Or, shoot at a faster shutter speed - typically 1/<focal length> - to remove camera shake issues from the photograph. But neither stabilization, 1/<FL> shutter speed, or even a tripod will prevent subject blurring due to moving faster than the shutter speed used. I could take pictures of racecars using 1/200th of a second mounted on a tripod and most of them will come out blurred.

As far as more 'tightly packed' pixels reducing camera shake? That's a new one on me. As mentioned above, the smaller, tighter pixels of a crop sensor vs a full frame sensor will typically have more noise, and, if viewed at high magnification, may not result an image as sharp as the same lens on a FF camera would produce. The increased noise effectively reduces the defining 'edges' of subjects & items in a photograph, making it appear less sharp. But more often, degree of sharpness is affected more by accurate focus and overall lens quality ($$), and the photographer, than the camera body in ones' hand.

That's what I told him. A full frame sensor won't necessarily be sharper but it will have less noise.

So this guy was saying to me, because of his crook shoulder he wants to upgrade from the D7100 to the D4s. He believes he will get better sharper photos because of the larger and less amount of MP's on a full frame?? wtf?? surely not.

What about the extra weight and his crook shoulder :er:

When I went from a 12mp D90 to a 16mp D7000 I noticed that my photographs weren't as sharp as before. It took a while to realize that the higher resolution is capable of resolving camera shake or motion blur better and that my camera-holding technique needed some work. After a while getting accustomed to the higher resolution my photographs were just as sharp as before. When I went from a 16mp D7000 to a 24mp D7100 the same problem occurred and once again it took a little time for me to improve my camera-holding technique to accommodate the higher resolution.

That's what I told him. A full frame sensor won't necessarily be sharper but it will have less noise.

I can shoot at 1/4000 and still have a blurry image. Especially if I leave VR on.

wtf is a crook shoulder?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back