What's new

Last cat, I promise, but need opinions, please!

limr36 5

Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
Jun 9, 2013
Messages
20,814
Reaction score
13,166
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is for the auction/fundraiser thing again.

How would this work as four pictures but in a single frame, presented as a sequence (a la Fat Cat Capsizing)? (I was thinking in a single line.)

I like that the cat and the girl start out looking in different directions, slowly start noticing each other, and then are turned in the same direction. I'm not sure any of these would work individually, but they might work as a story. Not sure if all four are needed. Maybe the second one could be left out.

I haven't done anything to them yet, so I know there are some crops (probably square, or maybe 4x5) or tweaks I could make, but I'm not going to bother with them if the 'story' isn't worth it.

I have to have the picture ready to go in 9 days, and I have to make a decision in the next day or so to have time to get the mat and frame, so this really is the last one and then I'll make up my own mind! I can do it, I swear! :salute:

Okay, here are the pictures:

$Girl and cat 1.webp $Girl and cat 2.webp $Girl and cat 3.webp $Girl and cat 4.webp

Thanks for any and all feedback!
 
The black rod thing really intrudes in the first three images. I'm thinking that the last one may be able to stand on its own. Title is: "I saw a mouse. Did you see it too?"
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #3
That was the mooring rope. It bothers me in the first two for sure. I don't mind it in the 3rd and 4th. If the 1st one is a sequence with the 3rd and 4th, maybe the rope is forgivable in the 1st.

Feh. Been staring at these so long, I'm losing my judgement! (Thus the plea for help :) )
 
It wouldn't take long to crop these down tight and run with the 4-shot assembly. You might like it better then.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #5
Okay, here are some crops for 5x7 printing. I decided to chose that because it's easier to find a frame without needing custom framing.

$Girl and cat 1 crop.webp $Girl and cat 2 crop.webp $Girl and cat 3 crop.webp $Girl and cat 4 crop.webp
 
In the first and second (uncropped) I was trying to find the cat because of that rope and wooden something. Withe the last too I was kind of: Oh, there she is, great :) so you succeeded to tell the story.
How about bw ?
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #7
Bump for the morning crowd.

I've decided on just a three-shot sequence, 5x7 horizontal, laid out vertically.

I tried a quick b&w conversion. Not sure I'm feeling it. It's better in color, yes or no?

$Girl and cat 1 crop b&w.webp

$Girl and cat 3 crop b&w.webp

$Girl and cat 4 crop b&w.webp
 
I think the color is better because in B&W with her dress being those big polka dots it has a lot of contrast and the rest of the scene is gray. Definitely think the crops work better, brings the viewer's attention to the girl and the cat when some of the background is eliminated. I think three works, choosing one out of the first two along with the last two seems to make for a good number of pictures to tell the story.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #9
I adjusted the crops just a bit because they seemed a bit left-heavy when viewed vertically (which is probably the kind of frame I'll get.)
Here's a very very quick combo just to show how they would be laid out in a frame. Definitely like the three shots and I think the story is fitting for the cat shelter ("We're alone, then we found each other, and now we're in it together")

$Girl and cat triptych.webp

Thanks everyone!
 
Just noticed there's a nice 'line' going from the top left to lower right as the girl and the cat move and interact in each picture; seems to make for a nicely balanced set.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #12
I enjoyed the interaction. It's like watching a mini movie.

That's the reaction I hope to get from the people with deep pockets so they will want to fork out some of that cash for the shelter :)
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #13
The auction was last night. At the end of the night, they raised $19,000! There were some really generous people there and some impressive donations - free nights at resorts, tickets to David Letterman, helicopter rides over Manhattan...

The trio of the girl and cat that I donated went for $45, and the black cat (below) went for $100. I was glad I could make even a small contribution. It was certainly more than I could have donated in cash :)

Thanks everyone for helping me prepare the pictures that I donated.

$No line crop.webp
 
Glad you did well with the photos selling! Probably feels good that they made some money from your photos for a good cause.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom