Last Newborn Session of 2013 C&C Welcome

I know its crooked but I think there is enough DOF that it works. It looks more of a vague texture. And its better than a slanting baby.

I know its crooked but I think there is enough DOF that it works. It looks more of a vague texture. And its better than a slanting baby.

you are absolutely right!

The reason I've posted is that I've seen baby photography online that doesn't necessarily always use what appears to be the most appropriate positioning for newborns according to what I've learned in my field of birth to three development. Photographers or instructors may not realize (at least in some videos I've seen) that some of the poses for the photos aren't particularly what would be considered the best to use.

Here's the concern - I looked online and found the info. posted below - in slings the baby's chin should not be down on the chest. In this info. from the CPSC site it shows a chart/diagram where on the left it shows the best way to position a newborn infant in a sling style device, and to the right it shows ways that a baby should not be positioned. I didn't realize til I read this that within 1-2 minutes with the chin down on the chest a baby can start to slowly suffocate.

My concern with the positioning I'm seeing used in photos where the baby is propped up on elbows with the chin in the hands is that it would seem to be extending the neck in an awkward position; I haven't yet found any info. on whether or not that affects the airway but I doubt many parents or caregivers are putting babies in that position so there may not be any particular info. on it. The problem with the baby's chin dropped down onto the chest is that it could be affecting the airway and a baby may not be able to cry to indicate being in distress. I've shared this because I think it's a serious concern.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Newsroom/New...-CPSC-Warning-About-Sling-Carriers-For-Babies

The reason I've posted is that I've seen baby photography online that doesn't necessarily always use what appears to be the most appropriate positioning for newborns according to what I've learned in my field of birth to three development. Photographers or instructors may not realize (at least in some videos I've seen) that some of the poses for the photos aren't particularly what would be considered the best to use.

Here's the concern - I looked online and found the info. posted below - in slings the baby's chin should not be down on the chest. In this info. from the CPSC site it shows a chart/diagram where on the left it shows the best way to position a newborn infant in a sling style device, and to the right it shows ways that a baby should not be positioned. I didn't realize til I read this that within 1-2 minutes with the chin down on the chest a baby can start to slowly suffocate.

My concern with the positioning I'm seeing used in photos where the baby is propped up on elbows with the chin in the hands is that it would seem to be extending the neck in an awkward position; I haven't yet found any info. on whether or not that affects the airway but I doubt many parents or caregivers are putting babies in that position so there may not be any particular info. on it. The problem with the baby's chin dropped down onto the chest is that it could be affecting the airway and a baby may not be able to cry to indicate being in distress. I've shared this because I think it's a serious concern.

Infant Deaths Prompt CPSC Warning About Sling Carriers for Babies | CPSC.gov

The sling information that you have posted here has nothing to do with the props you see in my images. These slings/carriers that you are speaking of are for actual baby wearing purposes which is not the case here

safety??
meh...overrated.
man, as an infant, my dad used to throw us up in the air and catch us, hold us up high to peek around walls at someone, Let us ride the inflatable raft behind the boat....

#1 and #4/5 for me. (they are pretty much the same thing)
nicely done.

But you're talking newborns... the chin being down on the chest for more than a couple of minutes is not safe from what I've read regardless of the type of sling, wrap, apparatus etc. The airway needs to stay clear; the head and neck should be supported as a unit.

Of course I'm more aware of this type thing than most people because what I've learned in my line of work, having taken Infant CPR, etc. Some of the positioning used in baby photography (with newborns, not necessarily older infants) does not always appear to necessarily be consistent with guidelines usually given for handling newborn infants.

But you're talking newborns... the chin being down on the chest for more than a couple of minutes is not safe from what I've read regardless of the type of sling, wrap, apparatus etc. The airway needs to stay clear; the head and neck should be supported as a unit.

Of course I'm more aware of this type thing than most people because what I've learned in my line of work, having taken Infant CPR, etc. Some of the positioning used in baby photography (with newborns, not necessarily older infants) does not always appear to necessarily be consistent with guidelines usually given for handling newborn infants.

gawd!
next your going to tell us not to let them drink straight from the hose! :mrgreen:

I really appreciate your concerns :) Super awesome of you to take so much care into letting people know and I think that's great. I can assure you everything I do is safe. This baby is NOT hanging in the sling, the parents have their hands underneath of him.....I would never suspend a baby in air. Which I think I have already addressed though. Every image other than the laying down ones are composites......the baby is being supported by mom and dad. If you are very serious about the ones that actually "wear" their baby in the slings and carriers that you speak of I know of many places you could voice your opinion. I would be happy to do a before and after for you but I'm not sure that would assure you either and think you would just scrutinize that as well. I have 4 children youngest being 20mos and I wore all my babies in a piece of material I cut myself and wrapped them up in it on my back......so you most likely would look down on me for that as well. I will tell you one thing though......my babies loved being swaddled to me.....always slept better and much more happier. Thank you again for all of your concerns and information put forward! It is greatly appreciated! :)

New or inexperienced photographers could be reading these threads and not know what safety precautions may have been taken or what would be appropriate in handling newborns. At least a couple of people said one of the photos made them uncomfortable viewing it; it's different I think seeing photos displayed publicly than the family seeing the end results who would have been there and known how it was done. I've seen baby photography videos that didn't necessarily use the best positioning techniques so there are unfortunately people out there doing it and maybe unknowingly not using the best techniques.

Squirt away Pixmedic! drinking out of the hose would at least take care of the dirt they just put in their mouth! lol I love water play... just obviously what's appropriate for any given age.

New or inexperienced photographers could be reading these threads and not know what safety precautions may have been taken or what would be appropriate in handling newborns. At least a couple of people said one of the photos made them uncomfortable viewing it; it's different I think seeing photos displayed publicly than the family seeing the end results who would have been there and known how it was done. I've seen baby photography videos that didn't necessarily use the best positioning techniques so there are unfortunately people out there doing it and maybe unknowingly not using the best techniques.

Squirt away Pixmedic! drinking out of the hose would at least take care of the dirt they just put in their mouth! lol I love water play... just obviously what's appropriate for any given age.

I tried "water play" once. well, ok twice. Ill try anything twice.
wasn't really that much a fan. neither was she.

I love the skin tone and colors on these. #4 is my favorite (and I knew they were composites). Nice pictures.

Yes anyone that has done any type of newborn work (suggesting they have also taken classes) would know all of this :)

I love them all (the superhero shot is a great one; never seen it before!). I am so glad you mentioned that a few are composites. They look too professional to not be (hope that doesn't come off rude). Great job!

Any new or inexperience photographers that are venturing into the world of newborn photography should be taking workshops and classes before they play with newborns. If some photographer decides to try what they see online, you CAN NOT fault the photographer who posted said pictures. The fault would be that of the inexperienced photographer.

I specialize in newborn photography, and put more time studying newborn safety than most pediatricians or nurse on the wing of the newborn unit at a hospital. It's like blaming a high end burger restaurant because McDonald's saw their burgers on a commercial and tried to make one with equal quality.

Corrie's images are beautiful, and I am positive she has taken every precaution for their safety.

I really like # 2. And I agree # 1 looks like he's falling out a little. The barrel ones aren't my thing but nicely done.

Most reactions

Back