Lastolite Reflectors and Diffusers (Difflector)?

kzhlin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I am interested in getting some reflectors and diffusers. Do you guys recommend any?

I am looking at:
Lastolite 48" Silver/Gold Reversible Reflector LL LR4834

Lastolite Trigrip reflectors and "difflectors" (and 48" vs. 30")

Mainly for portraits and some upper body shots. How are the trigrips? Does the shape affect anything?

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Kevin

Does the shape affect anything?
Only the ability to easily control your reflector with one hand and still shoot with the other. The 30" is good up to 3/4 shots, for full body the large one is needed and just for head shots, the small would work fine.

Silver and Gold are a common combination, but honestly, I'm not a fan of the gold. I think it gives off too much leaving the model a bit jaundiced looking. However, Lastolite is clever. I know it's not the cheapest option, but they sell a package of reversible covers that include two that are alternating strips of silver and gold, one with equal width and one with double width of silver, that can give off a nice warming glow to the model without overpowering them. Similarly, one cover has equaly width strips of silver and white which can give off some contrasty light without overwhelming the model. The other typical colors are there, white, black, silver and gold. As an added bonus, you'll also have a damn good diffuser.

Lastolite is not cheap, but it is well put together gear.

Does the shape affect anything?
Only the ability to easily control your reflector with one hand and still shoot with the other. The 30" is good up to 3/4 shots, for full body the large one is needed and just for head shots, the small would work fine.

Silver and Gold are a common combination, but honestly, I'm not a fan of the gold. I think it gives off too much leaving the model a bit jaundiced looking. However, Lastolite is clever. I know it's not the cheapest option, but they sell a package of reversible covers that include two that are alternating strips of silver and gold, one with equal width and one with double width of silver, that can give off a nice warming glow to the model without overpowering them. Similarly, one cover has equaly width strips of silver and white which can give off some contrasty light without overwhelming the model. The other typical colors are there, white, black, silver and gold. As an added bonus, you'll also have a damn good diffuser.

Lastolite is not cheap, but it is well put together gear.

Are you talking about:
Lastolite TriFlip 8 in 1 Grip Reflector Kit - LL LR3696 B&H

Thanks,
Kevin

Yes.

Lastolite also have some very informative videos on in their School of Photography for "how to" for their products. Of course, a smart man would see these as instructional for any similar product, not just a sales pitch.

Lastolite Limited

I watched their videos on the trigrip.

Does the triangular shape act differently than the traditional circular shape? Will there be any difference in picture quality?

And in that 8-in-1 lastolite trigrip, is the bottom layer diffuser 1 stop or 2 stop?

Honestly, I would look into rectangular-shaped reflectors if you want to do mostly portraiture. These round reflectors are very portable, but I think they're a PITA to position. ALso, they do not reflect nearly as much light as a square or rectangular reflector of equal dimension...there's a LOT of surface area lopped off on a 42" diameter circle, as opposed to a 42 inch square reflector. Round reflectors do not join together worth a damn either...try clipping two rounds together to form a free-standing panel....doesn't really work...for 75 years, reflectors were SQUARE, or RECTANGULAR. Then, the Chinese started making cheap,round reflectors, and an entirely new and unproven design was spawned. The idea is that a PERSON will hold the round reflector for you, OR that you will buy an arm, and a stand, and a counterweight, in order to get the damned thing to stay in position. With a square or rectangular reflector, two can be joined together, and formed into a sandwich board sign or "A-frame house" shape, and held in place without selling you an arm, and a stand, and a counterweight---outdoors, with rectangular reflectors, all you need are some turf spikes, which are like $1.09 each, so there's no profit in selling rectangular reflectors at the low end of the price scale. Round reflectors are a relatively new development. They are best when you DO have an assistant, or when woking with very small areas, but they fall very short of larger panels...they just don't reflect much light...and they need grip equipment to hold them in place!

Thanks for the input Derrel.

I think I will start off with one cheaper circular reflector because I have a few "voice activated lightstands". :lol:

After I get more into portraiture, I will consider more reflectors (rectangular).

But I have to say, that trigrip seems to be a really interesting and potentially helpful idea!

Thanks again,
Kevin

Most reactions

Back