Late Race Trouble at Lime Rock

Doc Wiseman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.docsmodels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Less than 5 Laps to go the leader ends up doing a slow loop in front of his team mate nearly taking them both out.

These were shot with my Canon D40 with 70-200 MM. ISO 100/ f5.6. Distance was around 150 meters in fading light and increasing cloud cover.

Is it me or are they dark?

Thanks for critiques/comments

Doc

RolexGT08580-vi.jpg

RolexGT08581-vi.jpg

RolexGT08582-vi.jpg

RolexGT08583-vi.jpg

Yes, they seem a tad underexposed. But nice series!

Nice timing, I want to head up there for the BMW vintage weekend. Could you have got close to the action if you wanted? How is it moving around the course in order to get good coverage. Thanks.

Nice timing, I want to head up there for the BMW vintage weekend. Could you have got close to the action if you wanted? How is it moving around the course in order to get good coverage. Thanks.

Earlier in the day I was standing along the wire right where the car ended up. Had I still been there, I'd have gotten real close shots.
Moving about the track for photo ops is rather easy. Of course, the "official" photographers get to work "inside" the wire but there are only a few places that the spectator- photographer can't get to. I spend a large portion of the day wandering the Paddock watching the teams thrash on the cars. Lots of good human interest shots there. The racing action is always good.

Hey man, nice shots! I go to Lime Rock too, and i am in the Makret for an SLR, would you reccomend a nikon d40 with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm for shooting there or do you think that I don't need the 55- 200? thanks

Where are you standing when these were taken?
I shoot the Canon 40D with either the 17-85MM or the 70-200MM. The 17-85 is perfect for in the paddocks, at the top of the uphill, or for panning through Big Bend. The 70-200 is necessary for longer shots. These were shot from the top of the infield hill in the Esses. My buddy shoots an older Canon 30D with the 100-400MM from the same places and gets some dynamite stuff. My next lens purchase will be the 100-400.

Doc

OK, thanks, so do you think that if I stood behind the fence coming out of big bend before the esses, and shot stuff I would need the 55-200? that's where I usually stand but I also walk the track and take them from the hill and on the back of the track when they are coming over the hill. Where is your favorite place to stand?

OK, thanks, so do you think that if I stood behind the fence coming out of big bend before the esses, and shot stuff I would need the 55-200? that's where I usually stand but I also walk the track and take them from the hill and on the back of the track when they are coming over the hill. Where is your favorite place to stand?
If you're standing along the wire on the short chute between Big Bend and the Esses the longer lense would be of little use. Unless you were trying to shoo the cars exiting the Esses.

Doc

Good shots! I get to shoot Drag racing at Maryland International Raceway. I can go anywhere I want but have to send them a CD of the event... NO PROBLEM! :) I bet road racing is quite a bit harder to shoot then drag racing.

If you're standing along the wire on the short chute between Big Bend and the Esses the longer lense would be of little use. Unless you were trying to shoo the cars exiting the Esses.

Doc
Ya I like shooting the when they exit big bend, and i have fun ATTEMPTING to get the big iron, like the trans am cars, as they slide out of the corner.
Thanks for the advice, I will definatley be there for the vintage festival, maybe the next big event as well which I belive is the Le mans race, they were amazing last year and I was really surprised how relaxed the teams were in the pits and were open for questions and chatting. Thanks again, Maybe I'll see you there

Good shots! I get to shoot Drag racing at Maryland International Raceway. I can go anywhere I want but have to send them a CD of the event... NO PROBLEM! :) I bet road racing is quite a bit harder to shoot then drag racing.

I'll be at Englishtown in a few weeks for the NHRA event. Road racing is a bit tougher than Drags. Dragsters don't really turn much (we hope) and the track is a bit shorter and straighter.:p

Ya I like shooting the when they exit big bend, and i have fun ATTEMPTING to get the big iron, like the trans am cars, as they slide out of the corner.
Thanks for the advice, I will definatley be there for the vintage festival, maybe the next big event as well which I belive is the Le mans race, they were amazing last year and I was really surprised how relaxed the teams were in the pits and were open for questions and chatting. Thanks again, Maybe I'll see you there

ALMS is 11 & !2 July (Fri & Sat). The whole atmosphere in the paddock is much more pleasant at an ALMS race vs most any other type of racing. I would put NHRA very close in terms of being "fan friendly". Last year at the NHRA event in Englishtown, I was blown away at how accomodating the teams were even with the short clock between rounds.

I'll be at the ALMS race and Vintage I might be able to catch a couple of SCCA weekends as well.

Doc

Most reactions

Back