It's actually a film camera that I'm using. When I get the photos developed, I save money by asking for a CD while holding off on the prints. The "prints" they do are from a digital scan anyway, no real dark-room magic, so it's just a hassle to get prints and then scan them as I was doing before.
So, there's probably little I can do about the sky now. Any ideas on how to get it better "in camera"?
I'll consider what you said about the DoF. I had a sticky shutter (fixed it now) so I was trying to use faster speeds when possible.
I totally agree about the "round object" and it bothered me the minute I saw this photo. It's actually the bike-rack and I was really sad that it had to be a more contemporary and obtrusive design, totally clashing with the look of the bike itself. I tried to leave as much of it out as possible. If it wasn't there I think I could have gotten more interesting photos. I'll try cloning it out but it will be the first time I attempt to do so for such a large area. Is the crop in the third photo ok?
Thanks for the comments.