Lauren- beauty portraits

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Revisiting a shoot I did last November. Both were shot in natural light (the indoor shot was lit using a large North facing window) with a reflector for fill. Shot on a Canon 5D classic with a Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens attached.

_MG_7767.jpg
_MG_8131.jpg

I like #2 and have learned from it. At F2 you have the face nicely focused but the neck and throat slightly OOF. I need to try that with my 50mm 1.8. It's a technique that would be particularly helpful for shooting my more mature subjects... Thanks for sharing Dan.

Love #2--it's terrific on all counts.

#1 isn't bad but two things are just a little off for me. First her left hand just looks awkward and out of place and destroys her lines. Second, her face would be better if she was viewing us not straight on--chin to the left or right by 1-2 inches and then look at the camera. Otherwise, love the rest of #1.

Thanks for posting, if you don't mind I'll offer some feedback.

#1 - The underlit fill loses the jawline, the shadow on the upper side of the nostrils makes the nose look larger and the eye sockets start to become prominent. I prefer a higher fill source. Her right hand is face on to the camera which makes it look bigger even with the 85mm, I prefer to angle it so the edge of the hand is facing the camera.

#2 - I like the casual feel of this one, nice use of the shallow DoF. Personally I'd dial the skin back though(#1 and #2) it is looking unrealistic to me when combined with the noise.

Beautiful! Amazing.. I love them both.

I like #2 and have learned from it. At F2 you have the face nicely focused but the neck and throat slightly OOF. I need to try that with my 50mm 1.8. It's a technique that would be particularly helpful for shooting my more mature subjects... Thanks for sharing Dan.
Thanks! I'm glad you were able to get something useful from it!

Love #2--it's terrific on all counts.

#1 isn't bad but two things are just a little off for me. First her left hand just looks awkward and out of place and destroys her lines. Second, her face would be better if she was viewing us not straight on--chin to the left or right by 1-2 inches and then look at the camera. Otherwise, love the rest of #1.
Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for posting, if you don't mind I'll offer some feedback.

#1 - The underlit fill loses the jawline, the shadow on the upper side of the nostrils makes the nose look larger and the eye sockets start to become prominent. I prefer a higher fill source. Her right hand is face on to the camera which makes it look bigger even with the 85mm, I prefer to angle it so the edge of the hand is facing the camera.

#2 - I like the casual feel of this one, nice use of the shallow DoF. Personally I'd dial the skin back though(#1 and #2) it is looking unrealistic to me when combined with the noise.
I appreciate the feedback.

Beautiful! Amazing.. I love them both.
Thank you so much!
No problem. Your work is amazing and inspiring. How long have you been doing this?
And you are proof that you don't need the new expensive gear. I think I paid 300 bucks for my 5Dc and about the same for the 85 1.8

Most reactions

New Topics

Back