Leaning Chimney | Difficult Subject

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really struggled with this one. I tried out probably three or four lighting schemes before I found the one that really seemed to work the best.. and even still, I'm not quite sure I nailed it.

Leaning Chimney by f_one_eight, on Flickr

And a BTS shot

BTS by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Cheers!
Jake

Nice job -- a little more lighting-up of the liquid would be nice. I used to do liquid-in-glass by building the set on top of an 11 inch reflector with a honeycomb. I'd cover over the reflector with seamless and set up the glasses or bottles (reflector was clamped in between saw horses). Then use a box cutter to cut holes in the seamless behind the glass. Right behind the hole in the seamless I'd tape a piece of foamcore standing up and then use scissors to trim it down out of sight. When the flash fired it would light up the foamcore which would light up the liquid -- no light spill on the background or support surface and I could light the rest of the scene normally.

Joe

Why is this hipster wireless speaker ending up in all of your shots recently?

Shameless pandering for the free acquisition of additional Fugoo related items...if I were to guess.

For the record, I'm not above shamelessly pandering and would pander shamelessly for free goods as well. :)

Nice job -- a little more lighting-up of the liquid would be nice. I used to do liquid-in-glass by building the set on top of an 11 inch reflector with a honeycomb. I'd cover over the reflector with seamless and set up the glasses or bottles (reflector was clamped in between saw horses). Then use a box cutter to cut holes in the seamless behind the glass. Right behind the hole in the seamless I'd tape a piece of foamcore standing up and then use scissors to trim it down out of sight. When the flash fired it would light up the foamcore which would light up the liquid -- no light spill on the background or support surface and I could light the rest of the scene normally.

Joe

One thing I thought about was using glass as a base, and then backing it (between the flash and glass) with black paper, and cutting a hole under the glass in the paper to allow a thin beam to light up the liquid. The backlighting idea didn't work quite as smooth as I had wanted.

And I think I missed focus just barely [emoji20]

Thanks for the info though. I'll keep that in mind.

Cheers!
Jake

Shameless pandering for the free acquisition of additional Fugoo related items...if I were to guess.

For the record, I'm not above shamelessly pandering and would pander shamelessly for free goods as well. :)

Nailed it. I like free things [emoji6]

Joe

One thing I thought about was using glass as a base, and then backing it (between the flash and glass) with black paper, and cutting a hole under the glass in the paper to allow a thin beam to light up the liquid. The backlighting idea didn't work quite as smooth as I had wanted.

And I think I missed focus just barely [emoji20]

Thanks for the info though. I'll keep that in mind.

Cheers!
Jake

The problem with passing light through a liquid is that there's often not enough "substance" in the liquid itself to light up. You need to see the light through the liquid and so the reflector behind it.

Joe

Don't listen to me because I know not a thing about this sort of shot, but I think it looks great!

yup good lookin' beer. I think ill go grab a Sam Adams now. Thanks for the inspiration!

Nice outline on the glass and the front / droplets are well illuminated. The condensation droplets are in rather pleasing shapes to my eye.

I like the gradient of color in the liquid, but I think I might have preferred it to be light on top and dark below.

Can you give a rundown of your lighting setup?

You're reflecting the flash around a gabo sorta dark field style for kicker / edgelights. It looks like a large soft on axis fill up front? A bluetooth speaker to cool everything up. Do you have a flash behind the subject firing forward? Am I missing anything else?

Well i didn't get too deep into the analysis but I like the image. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back