Learn Photography (Education)

Jeatley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking into taking some courses online and thought I would create a list of all the schools I have found online! If anyone has used any of these can you add a review! Also if there are any great places you know of to learn, add that too! Thanks and I will try to update this list every week! Maybe a new sticky!

1. The Art Institute Online
This is best one I have found and I have traveled to some of their locations and they are wonderful. I just cant afford the $90000 sticker price and online is not much cheaper! GREAT SCHOOL if you can handle that!

2. Academy of Art University

3. New York Institute of Photography
"TIGHT KNOT" says: have just started with the "New York Institute of Photography". www.nyip.com
They are accredited by the DETC, the Distance Education and Training Council.
So far, I am enjoying the course tremendously.
The cost was $1195 (if I remember correctly) if paid at +- $45 per month, or $895 for a one-time payment.

4. Better Photo . Com
I have been on this site for a while now and really do like it. Still have not decided if I should take the courses. Let me know any info you have on them! Thanks

5. Proud Photography

6. Perfect Picture School of Photography
This looks interesting

7. Kelby Training
Great Place to learn alot. Tons of video's I have been on here for about 1 year and watched almost everything! Very well spent $200.

8. ICON Photography School

9. ShutterMom University
I was told about this site by a friend and looked at it on her computer. Great info but just not enough for $30 or what ever the price is. Nothing new coming to the site!

10. The Photography Institute Course for about $1000

11. School Of Photography

Please Add Reviews or anything I missed. It does not have to be paid sites. Just Great Places to Learn!

Last edited:
I am still hoping some one out there would like to give some reviews or comments on these sites or any others out there!

Also hoping to make a great big list and rank the sites later! 1 being the best to learn from and down from them! But I need ideas or is this even worth it?
Hoping this could help me and others since I am doing the research anyways!

Last edited:
I am still hoping some one out there would like to give some reviews or comments on these sites or any others out there!

Also hoping to make a great big list and rank the sites later! 1 being the best to learn from and down from them! But I need ideas or is this even worth it?
Hoping this could help me and others since I am doing the research anyways!
I have just started with the "New York Institute of Photography". www.nyip.com
They are accredited by the DETC, the Distance Education and Training Council.
So far, I am enjoying the course tremendously.
The cost was $1195 (if I remember correctly) if paid at +- $45 per month, or $895 for a one-time payment. :thumbup:

You can also check with community colleges in your area. In Chicago, they have credited and continuing education courses for around $400.

I am looking into taking some courses online

It looks like the programs you have listed span a very broad range in terms of what they're intended to accomplish. Can you elaborate on what YOU hope to accomplish? Do you just want to get better at photography for hobby purposes? Do you feel you need formal education to bolster your resumé or otherwise gain credibility with future employers/clients?

It looks like the programs you have listed span a very broad range in terms of what they're intended to accomplish. Can you elaborate on what YOU hope to accomplish? Do you just want to get better at photography for hobby purposes? Do you feel you need formal education to bolster your resumé or otherwise gain credibility with future employers/clients?

I am not really sure what I am looking for exactly.. I Just like to know where to go to learn. I dont really care about the about a resume or credits earned. I care more about the quality of information. I Just want to learn as much as possible. Over time I would like to find a place I can return to and take more classes! But I have 3 jobs now so I need it to be online at my own time! I work crazy hours. So I guess KNOWLEDGE is my only goal.

I love to learn about Photoshop, Lightroom, Portraits, Stock, and the business side of photography. For now!

Photography at AI are hit or miss depending on which one you attend. AI Pittsburgh has very limited resources in photography while AI Philadelphia has more labs and equipment. AI schools are more a business than they are schools. They are there to sell you a program of courses that you can't really deviate from if you want to complete their program. That being said, they are not BAD schools. Some people complain that the teachers don't care or don't teach enough. But I find you will get out of it what you put into it regardless of the faculty.

I am not really sure what I am looking for exactly.. I Just like to know where to go to learn. I dont really care about the about a resume or credits earned. I care more about the quality of information. I Just want to learn as much as possible. Over time I would like to find a place I can return to and take more classes! But I have 3 jobs now so I need it to be online at my own time! I work crazy hours. So I guess KNOWLEDGE is my only goal.

I love to learn about Photoshop, Lightroom, Portraits, Stock, and the business side of photography. For now!
Hi Jeatley,
I know it may seem like I am trying to plug The New York Institute of Photography, but only because I have been very happy with the info from their course until now. All done on your own time, and they also have classes on Digital Photography Complete Course: Adobe Photoshop for Photographers.

I would highly recommend that you look them up at http://www.nyip.com

I ordered the info packet today! Hopefully I will get that soon and start lookin into them.
Thanks

I am currently doing NYIP Fundamentals of Digital Photography. I love it because they send you the materials to your house. Its a bit of everything, hard copy, audio, visual and on-line.

Thanks April! Let me know how if goes as you proceed through the course! Hopefully my package will arrive soon! Thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back