Learning by doing...

Di&Z

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
...is invaluable I know, but is there one (or two) books that have helped you in the very beginning.

One of the posters in one of my other threads mentioned a book that helped him, "Joy of Photography".

As a beginner, was there a book that helped you to better understand the whole process of taking a picture?

Last edited:
The first thing I did was to read and fully understand my cameras manual. Then I went to the book store and looked at every photo book available and chose the one that seemed the best for me. I also read/subscribe to a few different digital magazines. These work very well for me. I don't read one book and call it good. I read different photo books all the time to stay up on features and techniques. I always learn something new.

The basics of photography; light, aperture, shutter speed, composition etc....have not changed...so don't be afraid to pick up some old book from the 'film days'.

I'd suggest going to a library and having a look at what they have for photography books.

To the OP what camera are you using

Canon XSi.

I'm using the manual, trying to make sense of it, trying different things.

I'm new, it'll take time to learn everything, I know.

I was just wondering if there was one book that helped those to understand the basics.

As stated above there are tons of books and online resources for learning the basics of photography...But the one thing I always suggest is to keep a shooting log. Record the the subject, time of day, lighting conditions, camera settings, shooting distance, etc. This will allow you to keep track of what works and what doesn't.

What helped me in the beginning was, my friend and I got into photography at the same time. She did some online beginner's courses and she would email me the lessons.
THAT'S what taught me all about shutter speed and aperture. I have those on my computer still.
I got Understanding Exposure but I didn't really read it. I have a couple of books that I use as reference material. But I haven't read any of them from front to back. I've also watched video clips on youtube because I'm a better visual learner than I am at reading instruction.

Plus, Nikon manuals suck. You'll find out what you need to know about your camera, but it doesn't tell you much about the basics of photography.

I echo Understanding Exposure. I bought it, after people here recommended it, even though I was taking a class. Getting information in different formats is something I like and helps my learning.

The book was an easy read, great pictures and good detail as to how he takes his pictures. Wasn't too expensive either.

Most reactions

Back