Learning composition

lasershot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My shots are sucky because I lack the composition skills that I need to know. Where can I read up on composition?

You might try Ken Rockwells site. Im not a fan of him in certian respect but, he will guide you for that at least. But take all of his technical suff with a grain of salt.

The best way I learned was to set yourself a certain amount of time to one single subject. Walk around that subject... study it... take a few photos at different focal lengths and perspectives. Study the results and how each minor difference vastly changes the subject on the frame.

Experiment.... reading about photography is boring. Perhaps join a club or take classes to share ideas and get good critiques.

The best way I learned was to set yourself a certain amount of time to one single subject. Walk around that subject... study it... take a few photos at different focal lengths and perspectives. Study the results and how each minor difference vastly changes the subject on the frame.

Experiment.... reading about photography is boring. Perhaps join a club or take classes to share ideas and get good critiques.

I think this is good advice. I did the same thing when I first started. Whenever I went out to take photos, I always took at least 20 shots (usually ending up with 1 or 2 that were decent) of the same thing. When my girlfriend was with me, she would always ask me why i was taking so many photos of the same thing. Basically what I was doing was experimenting with different angles, then when i got back home id look at them in PS. And then of course pick the one that I thought was the best. Now it just comes more naturally to frame shots and I usually only end up taking around 3 or 4. And usually 2, if not all of them are good angles.

Thanks for the advice guys :)

I think this is good advice. I did the same thing when I first started. Whenever I went out to take photos, I always took at least 20 shots (usually ending up with 1 or 2 that were decent) of the same thing. When my girlfriend was with me, she would always ask me why i was taking so many photos of the same thing. Basically what I was doing was experimenting with different angles, then when i got back home id look at them in PS. And then of course pick the one that I thought was the best. Now it just comes more naturally to frame shots and I usually only end up taking around 3 or 4. And usually 2, if not all of them are good angles.

Agreed. Practice practice practice!! :thumbup:

Which is what I'm going to do right now.

*Grabs camera and goes outside*

usayit summed it up in one word: experiment. Nothing in photography can be learned overnight, especially composition. Your best bet is to go out and take alot of different shots from alot of different angles so you can get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

I got some decent shots of the clouds peeking over various things that I'll edit later :)

Also, campbell, do you recommend olympus?

Experiment.... reading about photography is boring. Perhaps join a club or take classes to share ideas and get good critiques

Hear hear usayit! Mind you I did finally break down and buy a copy of a John Hedgecoe book on photography.

I find having to plan time to go take photos of a specific spot/object help too, 'cos then I have an idea in my head about how I want it to look. This forum is helping me to slowly get my shots to look the way I want (I have soooo much to learn).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back