Learnings from my first wedding / reception shoot

k.udhay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, last month I posted that I am about to do a photoshoot of a wedding and reception [Lighting setup for wedding reception photography - Two soft boxes]. Here is what I got:

1. @Derrel gave me an idea of lighting to set one main light soft box camera left and fill light close to camera. I got feed back from the guests that the fill light is blocking them from the couple. So I had to move it to right side of camera with 2 stops less power.

2. The hall was too small once the guests started filling in.

3. I had 70 - 200 mm Canon lens on a canon 5D mark iii body.

4. The lens was NOT suitable for such a short length hall - I understood as soon as I started taking pictures.
  1. I was not able to achieve focus at subject - So few portraits have lost their crispness.
  2. Group pic. was a nightmare. I had to literally go to the extreme of the hall to cover the complete stage width. And before I frame, guests between camera and stage used to pop-up their heads :BangHead:.
  3. There were few other problems as well - I will post separately as individual threads get your advice.

5. These all said I could get some decent pics as well. I am posting the low quality image links here.
GuRpAdN.jpg

9xaWsBD.jpg

tnKbRo8.jpg

CqFhPlk.jpg

bCA1L3U.jpg

arMFvi1.jpg

yU10d5V.jpg

FTKYewW.jpg

vEzwezm.jpg

lJRBWBP.jpg

zD3Wi0E.jpg

nisSVFB.jpg

Vpcq3lw.jpg

I know mere word won't suffice but thanks is all I can keep saying. thephotoforum has helped me a lot getting me up to this stage. I agree I have to walk a long. Though, the first step has become possible through the confidence I gained at thephotoforum.

Edit history - Earlier post link given, *NOT* added to point 4

Well not sure of your personal situation. But in hind sight you should have at least checked the venue if you to only bring 1 lens with you. Do you have another lens? In the 24-70mm range maybe? If so, why did you not bring it?

Hopefully, you did get enough good shots the customers were happy. And lesson learned for yourself.

As for myself I probably bring way too much equipment. I guess I am a worrier. I always have spares. And in some cases I have spares for my spares.

Weddings must be hard. My father used to do them in the 70's for extra money, and he would have my mom and 2 of his students constantly taking pictures... non stop... while he chased the bride and groom around with his Mamiya c330 while carrying a giant "battery" and a flash!
I would hate photography if I had to make a living doing it.

My only suggestion is shoot pics like crazy, have multiple cameras, maybe another photographer.

I like the last picture!

A lot of lessons learned! One lesson: do not let guests tell you to move lights so THEY can snap pics over your shoulder!!!

Still,overall, you learned multiple very good lessons, and made some nice photos too.

Well not sure of your personal situation. But in hind sight you should have at least checked the venue if you to only bring 1 lens with you. Do you have another lens? In the 24-70mm range maybe? If so, why did you not bring it?

Hopefully, you did get enough good shots the customers were happy. And lesson learned for yourself.

As for myself I probably bring way too much equipment. I guess I am a worrier. I always have spares. And in some cases I have spares for my spares.
Hi,

Thanks for your kind words. Fortunately, I had taken a friend of mine who had a cropped lens DSLR with a 50 mm lens. With strobes on slave mode, we both together could cover the wedding decently.

Thank you once again!

Edit - "50 mm lens" added

Last edited:
Weddings must be hard. My father used to do them in the 70's for extra money, and he would have my mom and 2 of his students constantly taking pictures... non stop... while he chased the bride and groom around with his Mamiya c330 while carrying a giant "battery" and a flash!
I would hate photography if I had to make a living doing it.

My only suggestion is shoot pics like crazy, have multiple cameras, maybe another photographer.

I like the last picture!
//My only suggestion is shoot pics like crazy,//

Yes, I should do a lot of experimentation to improve the skill and durability. Thanks for the tip!

A lot of lessons learned! One lesson: do not let guests tell you to move lights so THEY can snap pics over your shoulder!!!

Still,overall, you learned multiple very good lessons, and made some nice photos too.

Hi Derrel. Happy to see you after some time.

"do not let guests tell you to move lights" - This is the first point of learning I wrote in my diary after I finished the shoot. I should have got some command (of course with politeness) over there - Not just for the light stand part, also for things like asking guests to stand in a particular order in the stage, give a formal pose when needed etc. Because I was not so communicative, I couldn't stop people moving away before I took a nice pic. of them.

You need to pay attention with all the objects around her. The 2nd to last image, you could remove the two large envelopes on the couch and sweep out the confetti on floor. The blurry flower in front of her is distracting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back