Left handed & left eyed photography...

King of Fools

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm was just thinking earlier today "Will being left handed as well as left eyed be disadvantagous?"

Your probably asking yourself "Left Eyed???". It is strange, but true. Due to a very aggresive virus as a teenager (it started eating my eye), the view from my right eye is permanently blurry. It's not really noticible to myself anymore, my left eye has gotten stronger over the years to make up for the difference. Would't be much of a problem with a camera, but since they are made for righties, they seem to be more comfortable using your right eye :x, which is not possible for me.

Which brings me to my other long standing, major annoyance... Everything is made for righties.

Is using a camera yet another area that will make me feel like I don't belong? I remember my first experience with scissors in kindergarden. I kept asking myself "Why are the scissors cutting for everyone else and mine are just ripping?". That was the first of many things that didn't work like they should for a left handed person... can openers, cork screws, the list goes on... Add Camera's to that list...

Imagine my displeasure when I went to the local Best Buy (terrible customer service btw) to handle and play with some DSRL's and realized that this was yet another item that discriminated against lefties!!! :pissed: I kept on wanting to hold the camera with my left hand and focus with my right only to realize that the camera design made it feel really awkward :grumpy: not to mention not possible...

So hear I am, reminded that I am a lefty trapped in a righty's world... Makes me wish I could have this camera. http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm :drool:

Mark my words! One day us Lefties will organize and rise up to overthrow the self serving regime that the righties currently control on this small planet of ours.
Long live the LLM!!! (Lefties Liberation Movement) :gun:

Thank you for my time on the :soapbox: .

I've seen people using their left eye - my daughter for one. Apart from getting your noseprint over your screen, I don't see why not.

Cameras aren't difficult to operate. It's certainly easier than learning to use a computer keyboard or a piano keyboard, etc. with your 'wrong' hand playing it's part.

I use my left eye because the right one doesnt open as wide. It's a small annoyance but manageable.

You will have no problem whatsoever using your left eye for the camera. Lots of right handed people are left eye dominant and use the left eye in the camera. In fact, people who have suffered a blinding injury at an early age have easier time learning photography because they already think in terms of monocular vision.

I can't say much in terms of handling the camera cause I'm ambidextrous.

I remember a few months ago we did a thread on who was left eyed and who was right eyed... and there were a surprising number of left eyers!

I'm a left-eyer and I have absolutely no problem. My dad laughs at me though coz he thinks it looks funny.... but seriously... most people don't realise that it's 'different'.

My sister is left handed and completely unco but she somehow still manages to use a camera with no problem... well except for the fact she takes **** photos... but still. :lol:

Wow, waking up this morning and reading my own post, I must have been in a really bad mood last night! :lmao:

Ok, maybe it's not that bad, but I still feel unwated... ;)

Awwww!

But there are so many things out and about that are for left-handed people. Scissors, to begin with. Writing blocks... all that (don't really know, but we get a catalogue every now and again with only things for left-handed people).

And it looks much better if you photograph with your left eye! My sister does that. So the camera blocks her other eye and she need not squeeze it shut. I have to do so and look horrible when taking photos!

Weihn2004_sisters.jpg

Look how relaxed her face is and then mine.... :shock: Horrors.
So be happy you photograph with your left eye!

Hello

Unless you can learn to shoot with both eyes open, using your left eye is better since, as has been said already, you don't have to close your non-shooting eye. As for cameras being "right handed", this is a pretty recent phenomenon and is pretty limited to modern 35mm SLR cameras. Before the advent of auto focussing in every camera, using an SLR was a two handed operation, so you had to be able to use both hands.

The thing with operating equipment is that the more we use it, the more we become adept to working within any perceived limits it may have. The more you use your camera, the less of a problem being cack, ahem, I mean left, handed will be.:D

Regards

Fuddy

Long live the RHLEPLF (Right Handed Left Eyed People's Liberation Front)

It's actually funny that this thread is here because I've always photographed with my left eye, and it wasn't until a little while ago that I realized this wasn't "normal." I tried switchin to the right, but it just doesnt feel the same...

Always using the left eye. It's just more comfortable that way. Reasons have already been told, can keep it open and no one sees it if you squeeze it because the camera hides most of the face (phew ;-))

Most reactions

New Topics

Back