legal advise: cease and desist??????

DIRT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jfreeman.smugmug.com
I have a prob. here is what happened.

I belong to another online forum, I purchased a screen printing kit for fun and wanted to try my hand at it so I had a decal from the other forum and it was an easy design that I could trace onto the screen. I made a screen with the forum logo on it and tried to make a few prints onto some paper, none of them came out because I just sucked at it. anyways, i put a picture of the screen on the forum and the owner of the site has sent me a cease and desist letter. I did not think it was illegal to use there logo just for messing around ( I know it WOULD be illegal if I intendid on or actually had sold something with there logo on it but I did not). I had absolutely no intentions of anything other than just screwing around in my house. does anybody have any advice for me? I really like the forum and do not want any problems I think that they dont understand that I was simply doing it for fun and not for money interests.

Am I understanding this correctly? You put a screen picture you made of their logo back on their forum.....and they're ticked off...? :scratch: Tell 'em to take a chill pill; you're not trying to sell it or do anything to bring dire harm to their forum. It sounds like you were simply showing a technique. What am I not getting here?

I'd tell 'em you're happy to cease and desist cause you sucked at the technique and, in the meantime, do they wanna buy a screen printing kit? :mrgreen:

Love your take terri, I wrote him an email but he hasnt got back to me yet. I just thought that it was a bit crazy that they would jump on me like that. I wasnt going to market anything, and if I really was gonna make bootleg stuff would I honestly post A picture in THEIR OWN FORUM? I dont know, it is a tight community of people that all get together too so who would I try to sell to anyway without everyone finding out?

I agree, he's a jerk.

But, in his defense, it is illegal. Just like a photo, a company logo posesses a copyright from the point of it's creation, the creator owns the copyright until sold or contracted. Under the US copyright law, reproduction of a trademarked logo, or copyrighted material is prohibited for both resale and/or personal use.

DIRT said:
UPDATE: I talked to him and turns out he was just joking... I was happy to hear it. thanks for the replies though.
Awesome news. Guess that means you're stuck with the screen printing kit, eh? ;)

Keep trying! On your own stuff, of course. :razz:

DIRT said:
UPDATE: I talked to him and turns out he was just joking... I was happy to hear it. thanks for the replies though.

Or was he... he could have just been afraid to admitting he over reacted or didnt have case....

I am glad everything worked out. We could look at this like a lesson learned. At least something to consider. A logo or a photo that represents a company should be off limits to reproduce with out said companies permission. A lot rides on these photos and graphics. These people also pay huge amounts of money for there correct reproduction. I could go on for hours. I understand that your intentions were good. Generally you are better off sticking to original designs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back