"Legal" Question

I think that is not allowed. Once you take a picture. It is yours under UK law and copyright for that picture belongs to you. You are not allowed to sell the picture without person's permission if you could see that person's face on the picture. Basically, do not listen to anyone and don’t get bullied. The photos are yours, the event was open event and the camera was yours. Just sent them a link to LAW on that matter if they will continue being mean:) On the other hand you could just be nice and if they are nice then just respect their wishes knowing the law is behind you. Case closed:)

I think it will boil down to this... They can dictate what their camera is used for. Yes, you might fight it and win... based on the photographer being the copyright owner, but this will put you in an adversarial position with your school... and that's not a cool place to be. You're looking to get an education, get some good grades, and graduate there, right? You could win the battle and lose the war. Their camera, let them have their rules. Smile, take a big bite of the poop sammich and move on.

However, they are entirely wrong in saying you cannot take pictures with your own camera. There is no reasonable expectation of privacy at a school sporting event that's open to the public. I presume there was no sign saying "No Photography".

I would take the pictures down as requested, and if you want, take all the pictures you want with your own camera. But, I would not let on to them you're doing that. You're in the right in doing so, but I wouldn't do anything to make waves with these people... like I said, you're looking to get an education from them.

And as always, remember- I'm not an attorney, I just played one on TV.

I think it will boil down to this... They can dictate what their camera is used for. Yes, you might fight it and win... based on the photographer being the copyright owner, but this will put you in an adversarial position with your school... and that's not a cool place to be. You're looking to get an education, get some good grades, and graduate there, right? You could win the battle and lose the war. Their camera, let them have their rules. Smile, take a big bite of the poop sammich and move on.

However, they are entirely wrong in saying you cannot take pictures with your own camera. There is no reasonable expectation of privacy at a school sporting event that's open to the public. I presume there was no sign saying "No Photography".

I would take the pictures down as requested, and if you want, take all the pictures you want with your own camera. But, I would not let on to them you're doing that. You're in the right in doing so, but I wouldn't do anything to make waves with these people... like I said, you're looking to get an education from them.

And as always, remember- I'm not an attorney, I just played one on TV.

Ownership of the camera is TOTALLY irrelevant.

skieur

...and?

As I already stated, the person could probably fight and win, and in doing so, alienate the people providing his education. Winning the battle and losing the war.

Alright. Here's the situation:

I was taking pictures at a High School Volleyball tournament. With the schools yearbook camera. I took pictures of the team in general, and then a couple of the coach.

I took the camera home, downloaded the pictures onto my computer and then put a few of them on my personal Facebook.

I get told by the yearbook advisor that I am not allowed to do this. And that I may face consequences. I talk to a higher up and she says that I should just take them down. Which I have done until I find out what's actually the law. I was also told by her that I could not put them up even if I took my own camera there, and took pictures myself, because I could "be sued".

These are pictures of the teacher (coach) and the team in general, as I said. This was at a public high school, at an event that was open to the public. I was not using any images for commercial use, just to have on there (facebook) as a "gallery" of my pictures.

Thoughts? Advice? If you can help at all, I'd appreciate it. Also, any sources you have on the matter would be helpful as well. Before I forget, this is in Illinois. (That might be important..haha.)

Do yourself a favor and consult a real attorney. If you take your legal advise from here this could well be you. http://www.stus.com/images/products/cartoon.gif

Alright. Here's the situation:

I was taking pictures at a High School Volleyball tournament. With the schools yearbook camera. I took pictures of the team in general, and then a couple of the coach.

I took the camera home, downloaded the pictures onto my computer and then put a few of them on my personal Facebook.

I get told by the yearbook advisor that I am not allowed to do this. And that I may face consequences. I talk to a higher up and she says that I should just take them down. Which I have done until I find out what's actually the law. I was also told by her that I could not put them up even if I took my own camera there, and took pictures myself, because I could "be sued".

These are pictures of the teacher (coach) and the team in general, as I said. This was at a public high school, at an event that was open to the public. I was not using any images for commercial use, just to have on there (facebook) as a "gallery" of my pictures.

Thoughts? Advice? If you can help at all, I'd appreciate it. Also, any sources you have on the matter would be helpful as well. Before I forget, this is in Illinois. (That might be important..haha.)

Your yearbook advisor says you could "be sued". To be sued you would have had to do something that violates civil law. Taking photos does not violate any law in this situation. Posting them could be construed as publication but not advertising which may require a model release.

It would seem to me that the only other possible justification for a law suit is that if the subject was not engaged in normal sports related activities or was in the shower, change room etc. Otherwise, in a public place, involved in a sporting event, any school athlete or coach/official is fair game as a subject for photos and for publication other than advertising.

skieur

A public school is not necessarily public property. Check with an attorney and the school board on their policies.

A public school is not necessarily public property. Check with an attorney and the school board on their policies.

A public school is a public place and don"t confuse school board policy and the law. They are two different things. You cannot be sued for violating school policy.

skieur

A public school is a public place and don"t confuse school board policy and the law. They are two different things. You cannot be sued for violating school policy.

skieur
Public place is not the same as public property. A pub is a public place, yet you can be prevented from taking photos there, it's a private property. The footpath running down the street outside the pub is also a public place, and you are free to take photos as you like there, as it is also public property.

have you asked them why they want you to take them down? What rules/laws you have broken? And, what their "serious consequences" are?

That is where you need to start.

skieur
Public place is not the same as public property. A pub is a public place, yet you can be prevented from taking photos there, it's a private property. The footpath running down the street outside the pub is also a public place, and you are free to take photos as you like there, as it is also public property.

When it comes to a public place that is private property, unless there are signs to the contrary, you can take photos until told otherwise and still publish the photos you have already taken.

skieur

I think that the coach is part of the witless protection agency. He should have known better then to become a coach, should have become a librarian biding his time down in the stacks being at one with the Dewey Decimal System. Much less press. ;)

But seriously the more one hears on this the more one ponders on the character of the coach. What past sleeps dormant? What secrets hide in the shadows. Sounds like a good after school special if you ask me but alas it does not look like the school or coach will be letting that happen.

Once again I have to add my vote to what Skieur has pointed out. But it would be interesting to hear the why behind all of this fuss.

I think that the coach is part of the witless protection agency. He should have known better then to become a coach, should have become a librarian biding his time down in the stacks being at one with the Dewey Decimal System. Much less press. ;)

But seriously the more one hears on this the more one ponders on the character of the coach. What past sleeps dormant? What secrets hide in the shadows. Sounds like a good after school special if you ask me but alas it does not look like the school or coach will be letting that happen.

Once again I have to add my vote to what Skieur has pointed out. But it would be interesting to hear the why behind all of this fuss.
Ummm... the coach? Where does the coach factor into this? It was the yearbook advisor. You might want to read the first post in this thread.

Ummm... the coach? Where does the coach factor into this? It was the yearbook advisor. You might want to read the first post in this thread.
Ummm... Reading post #1 and #12 the coach also is the equivalent to "the faculty member" for which the yearbook advisor is referring to according to the OP when it comes to what apparently fell outside the lines of conduct for the student. There is just as much chance that yearbook advisor was approached by someone as opposed to the advisor acting on their own. With the information we were given that leaves alot to the imagination.

edit: It seems to be the OP's opinon in post #12, as far as I can tell, that "the facility member" had some role in yearbook advisor approaching the student.

But evidently you saw my post as completely serious. If you want my serious opinion read those posts siding with the op as doing nothing wrong and watch me nod my head in agreement.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back