Legos..

TamiAz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My son wanted me to take a picture of his Lego sets he put together. He was so proud!! :lovey: I figured it would be a good time to practice my exposure. They were set up in a little wall cubby. I did use the flash. I made sure I was the correct distance for the aperture I was using, so I wouldn't blow anything out. I'm thinking I should have diffused the light because there is a glare from the semi-gloss paint. Would that have helped?

I would like C&C on the exposure. Thank you!!

50mm, 1/125s, iso200, F14, flash

legotown.jpg

Last edited:
It would have helped, but IMO what would have helped you more would have been to get down lower when you shot it, for a more direct perspective, assuming you could have removed/moved the white signs in front. I find the signs more distracting than the shiny paint behind.

Lego is super cool though, eh?

It would have helped, but IMO what would have helped you more would have been to get down lower when you shot it, for a more direct perspective, assuming you could have removed/moved the white signs in front. I find the signs more distracting than the shiny paint behind. Lego is super cool though, eh?
Nope, couldn't remove the signs....It was part of his his little display. He was very particular about how he wanted the picture taken. :) Thank you!!

Well with a tripod it would have helped to drop the flash which obviously caused the harsh lighting. I would have tried to shoot it without flash just using the ambient room light. If that would still be a problem, I would have played around with a table lamp bouncing it off some white sheets to really get into the indirect lighting deal.

Secondly, f14 is a bit high for my taste unless you were pretty close to fill the frame with the Lego model and still keep everything in focus. If you shoot with 10 Megapixel or more you can easily step further back and shoot with a lower aperture (f11 or even lower) to get the sweet spot. Not a big deal though.

There are tons of ways to light this model. I'd also try to place it on a table with a dark/black background and use a blue photo filter later in post to make it look like some spooky night shot. Just some crazy idea.

I spy some wiring in the back left corner........... are there lights inside the 'buildings'?

Well with a tripod it would have helped to drop the flash which obviously caused the harsh lighting. I would have tried to shoot it without flash just using the ambient room light. If that would still be a problem, I would have played around with a table lamp bouncing it off some white sheets to really get into the indirect lighting deal.Secondly, f14 is a bit high for my taste unless you were pretty close to fill the frame with the Lego model and still keep everything in focus. If you shoot with 10 Megapixel or more you can easily step further back and shoot with a lower aperture (f11 or even lower) to get the sweet spot. Not a big deal though.There are tons of ways to light this model. I'd also try to place it on a table with a dark/black background and use a blue photo filter later in post to make it look like some spooky night shot. Just some crazy idea.
Thanks for the feedback!!I'm a noob and I was using the flash in manual. I put my tripod at a spot where I could fill the frame, which was about 3 feet away.. I adjusted my flash using that aperture and distance. Did I do that completely wrong? So, using a smaller aperture would have been better??? I just wanted to make sure everything was in focus. I'm getting really frustrated...I'm reading and practicing, but it seems everything I do is wrong...Sorry, I'm whining.

The exposure seems okay? I don't know what else to say. I mean, it looks like a photo taken straight on with the onboard flash.

The exposure seems okay? I don't know what else to say. I mean, it looks like a photo taken straight on with the onboard flash.

I'm trying to apply what I've been learning here and what I've read. I just wanted to see if I did it correctly. The exposure was all I was concerned about. Thanks!!

I spy some wiring in the back left corner........... are there lights inside the 'buildings'?

It appears to be a wall cut out for a home theater receiver and components.

Maybe a different picture will help judgment on your exposure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back