Leica m6 m7 or mamiya 7ii

newrmdmike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so . . . i've got the itch for a rangefinder.

an m6 or m7 with the 28 f/2.8 or mamiya 7ii?
anyone have any experience with the rollei trip 35? how sharp is it? how reliable is the shutter and so on . . .
is the mamiya as concealable?
whats the shutter on it like in terms of how slow of a shutter speed i can have hand held . . . can it even come close to the leica?

I know 35mm is easier to get around with . . . but i really fancy that 6x7 negative.

so . . . i've got the itch for a rangefinder.

I know 35mm is easier to get around with . . . but i really fancy that 6x7 negative.
Well then, it's the Mamiya for YOU!

Have you been to this forum? They're not the most helpful or friendly bunch, but you can lurk there for a while and see what everyone else is saying.

You know, I'm really deeply into digital RF photography at this point - I don't touch my Canon and L lenses anymore, only my Leica. The one thing I would consider in making a recommendation is that the Leica gear (though a LOT more expensive) will have greater scalability should you get bitten hard by the RF bug as well, and that it will hold its resale value better.

On the other hand, I never want to see film again. I'm finished with it. I tried again recently (with 120 film) and I decided it is really NOT for me anymore. Too expensive, too few shots per roll, too long to wait to get it back, and in the absence of a dark-room I still need to scan to dodge and burn. Having said, that if you're into film (and if I remember correctly you're ok with it) then the 120 negative is obviously a nice way to go.

Something to think about.

But hey, I'm always glad to see someone else playing with RFs. At this point on this forum, there's still so few of us that we couldn't even put together a Minyan for Shacharit... (I mean enough people for a working sub-forum.)

heheh thanks, i'll check out that forum . . . i'm going to have access to darkrooms for a few years more without having to buy chemistry, and i miss it.

i think it would be sweet to have a digital rf . . . but i've also got a pretty serious film bug growing.

The Mamiya would be my choice. Personally, I see no reason to get involved in 35mm film photography at all. I did it for 1/2 a century and digital is better. However, medium format film is certainly better than either 35mm or APS digital photography.

Concealable Mamiya 7? Not exactly.

Yeh .... as much as i like shooting with rangefinders, the larger negative is the way to go.

As fmw said... that mamiya isn't nearly as discreet.

usayit, the mamiya is a rangefinder . . . ;)

anyone can give me a comparison, its not as big as a d2x is it?

If yout itch is for collecting, then go the Leica way. If not, take the Mamiya. Larger negative. That's all. ;)

usayit, the mamiya is a rangefinder . . . ;)

anyone can give me a comparison, its not as big as a d2x is it?

if i remember correctly, it's not as tall as the d2, but it's a bit thicker and definitely heavier.

shucks . . . i wish it were smaller, what about the mamiya 6?

the 6 is actually pretty small,

m6clps.jpg

oh sweet, i'm going for a 6 if i can then. thanks a lot for the pic

. . . maybe

things left to decide : is the viewfinder bright and what not as the mamiya 7, is the meter better . .. whats better? etc.

we shall see.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back