Leigh Ann - Maternity

Milk&Cookies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was my first attempt at some maternity pictures. I overall like them and feel that I did well, but I also know there is improvement to be made, I just can't figure out where to start. I haven't been at this long enough to have developed any sort of editing style, so Im unsure what, if anything else, I should do to make these better.

LeighAnn by ..Milk, on Flickr

LeighAnn-3 by ..Milk, on Flickr

LeighAnn-2 by ..Milk, on Flickr

I don't know enough about the genre to understanding posing or the post-processing involved, but the light is kind of harsh IMO. Someone here will probably have better ideas, but I probably would have softened the light by using some modifiers (and maybe soften the edit anyways).

In situations like this, I like to use my 5-in-1 reflector. If I really wanted to use the direct sun, I'd use the translucent piece to filter the light so it is not quite as intense. I'd be more likely to angle away from the sun though, and use a white reflector to light. I've had some pretty good luck that way.

Of course, I'm no pro, and I'm sure someone who is will probably have better ideas.

I don't know enough about the genre to understanding posing or the post-processing involved, but the light is kind of harsh IMO. Someone here will probably have better ideas, but I probably would have softened the light by using some modifiers (and maybe soften the edit anyways).

In situations like this, I like to use my 5-in-1 reflector. If I really wanted to use the direct sun, I'd use the translucent piece to filter the light so it is not quite as intense. I'd be more likely to angle away from the sun though, and use a white reflector to light. I've had some pretty good luck that way.

Of course, I'm no pro, and I'm sure someone who is will probably have better ideas.

I agree with the harsh lighting. This was taken early morning, 7:30am-ish, but the sun was already so strong. It unfortunately was super super windy too so positioning her in any other direction was causing her hair to blow all in her face. I'm not a huge fan of pictures on the beach, but its where she wanted to go, so I didn't even have the option to find some shade. Next time I will try and wrangle someone to be with me to hold a reflector. Ive been looking at a reflector that attaches to a tripod, but I'm not sure if it would just be a hinderance to maneuver.

I agree with the harsh lighting. This was taken early morning, 7:30am-ish, but the sun was already so strong. It unfortunately was super super windy too so positioning her in any other direction was causing her hair to blow all in her face. I'm not a huge fan of pictures on the beach, but its where she wanted to go, so I didn't even have the option to find some shade. Next time I will try and wrangle someone to be with me to hold a reflector. Ive been looking at a reflector that attaches to a tripod, but I'm not sure if it would just be a hinderance to maneuver.

I agree...a person to hold the reflector is pretty key, especially someplace like the beach. When I did the photos of my daughter for our Christmas card this year, my wife begrudgingly held the reflector. The wind was blowing so hard though that it would have been impossible with a stand...no amount of weight on the stand would have kept it in place.

I agree...a person to hold the reflector is pretty key, especially someplace like the beach. When I did the photos of my daughter for our Christmas card this year, my wife begrudgingly held the reflector. The wind was blowing so hard though that it would have been impossible with a stand...no amount of weight on the stand would have kept it in place.

My husband is usually my begrudging assistant was well. His work schedule is all over the place at times (military) so I can't always rely on him. Plus, if I heard "just take the damn picture!" one more time during my kids christmas photos I was going to beat him with my tripod. =)

... Next time I will try and wrangle someone to be with me to hold a reflector. Ive been looking at a reflector that attaches to a tripod, but I'm not sure if it would just be a hinderance to maneuver.

I rigged something up with a speedlight clamp/holder and a chopstick (through the umbrella holder hole) to hang my reflector on a stand in the studio ... it would be useless outside in anything windier than a flat calm but then large reflectors and wind are a disaster waiting to happen, you'd need a Charles Atlas to hold it steady.

In the circumstances I think you did pretty well and got some nice shots. If you can soften the light a little in LR that would be good but they're still better than I could probably have done. :)

Not bad; I agree with the others that the lighting isn't as nice as it could be, but unless you have the money and helpers to manage a Sun Swatter or similar overhead diffuser there's only so much you can do. Did you consider a polarizing filter? I think that would have helped considerably, and some further, delicate work in post will allow you to fine-tune the highlights and reduce the harshness further.

Not bad; I agree with the others that the lighting isn't as nice as it could be, but unless you have the money and helpers to manage a Sun Swatter or similar overhead diffuser there's only so much you can do. Did you consider a polarizing filter? I think that would have helped considerably, and some further, delicate work in post will allow you to fine-tune the highlights and reduce the harshness further.

I did not think to use a polarizing filter! (Told ya I'm new ta this. ;) ) I will absolutely look into getting one to have on hand for the future though.

Plus, if I heard "just take the damn picture!" one more time during my kids christmas photos I was going to beat him with my tripod. =)

Hey this isn't just a male thing, by wife does the same thing to me. LOL

For the PERFECT shot: on top of the $669 sunswatter, and filters, the choice of reflectors, the fill strobes, the power supply, back-up equipment and a full film crew (and catering department to keep them happy) a Peterbilt truck might come in useful... but by the time you got set up for the perfect dawn shot it would be night and a full force 10 gale! ;) :biglaugh:

For the PERFECT shot: on top of the $669 sunswatter, and filters, the choice of reflectors, the fill strobes, the power supply, back-up equipment and a full film crew (and catering department to keep them happy) a Peterbilt truck might come in useful... but by the time you got set up for the perfect dawn shot it would be night and a full force 10 gale! ;) :biglaugh:

So uhm... I'll handle the food. You guys got the rest, right?

Are the crew allowed to strike the caterers if there is insufficient hot food available?

the $669 sunswatter

Yikes!!!!!!! $700!!!!!!!! I'd "borrow" a couple of beach umbrellas, buy a couple of cases of beer, and find some willing souls to hold them for beer, On a base the size of NAS I wouldn't think you'd have to look to far to find some recruits! Problem solved!

I think these have been excessively lightened, and flattened, meaning the blacks and shadows look artifically "lightened"...I would expect a deeper, maximum black on a beach like this. I'd like to see more contrast; these look a bit flat to me. It's a matter of personal preference though...there's not one,specific, exact way to render this type of lighting.

I think these have been excessively lightened, and flattened, meaning the blacks and shadows look artifically "lightened"...I would expect a deeper, maximum black on a beach like this. I'd like to see more contrast; these look a bit flat to me. It's a matter of personal preference though...there's not one,specific, exact way to render this type of lighting.

The only edits in made were to lower the highlights a bit and lift some of the shadow. I possibly went a bit far on the shadows, but the blacks were left as is. I will play with the edit a bit more. Thanks for your input. =)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back