tom.ganc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.atgancarzphotography.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there,
I bought Nikon D40 some time ago and I have kit lens 18-55mm. I’m thinking about getting some glass now and I want to get two lenses. One will be Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and another I’m thinking about is Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR ED AF-S DX or Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO HSM. They both about the same price and I need to decide. I like the VR on Nikon lens but having extra 100mm focal length and macro on sigma makes it difficult to decide. There is another think about Sigma lens – when autofocus the end part rotates which isn’t the best if you want to use CPL filter.
I will be using this lens for some children action shots (5yo and 2yo so it could be fast action :mrgreen: ), probably some macro (with sigma).
Please give me some advice.
Many thanks
Tom

You will need to manually focus the 50mm F1.8, im sure you know this just checking :)

and go for the Nikkor 55-200mm the VR is a huge benefit and the extra reach on such sigma lenses tend to get soft around 300mm anyway

You will need to manually focus the 50mm F1.8, im sure you know this just checking :)

and go for the Nikkor 55-200mm the VR is a huge benefit and the extra reach on such sigma lenses tend to get soft around 300mm anyway

Hi
Thanks for reply
Yes I know about manual focus with 50mm Nikon lens but that's ok. I should be ok with it. I was testing Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM few days ago. It is brilliant lens but bit expensive (£250) and focal length isn't the best because I want to use it for indoors shots so with 30mm lens I will need to get really close to subject. 50mm should do the job.

About zoom lens. I think I'll go for Nikon lens and start saving some money for macro lens ( I like sigma 105mm f/2.8)
Thanks
Tom

Hi
Thanks for reply
Yes I know about manual focus with 50mm Nikon lens but that's ok. I should be ok with it. I was testing Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM few days ago. It is brilliant lens but bit expensive (£250) and focal length isn't the best because I want to use it for indoors shots so with 30mm lens I will need to get really close to subject. 50mm should do the job.

About zoom lens. I think I'll go for Nikon lens and start saving some money for macro lens ( I like sigma 105mm f/2.8)
Thanks
Tom

noticed u also live in manchester

where do you go to try lenses and stuff?
my local doesnt like me going in and asking to try stuff

noticed u also live in manchester

where do you go to try lenses and stuff?
my local doesnt like me going in and asking to try stuff

Hi,
Saying that I tested doesn't mean I have had this lens at home. I just brought my camera into shop and tried this lens in different situations. There is plenty of sbjects in the store to test lens. When I was trying sigma 30mm f1.4 I went to Jessops on Deansgate and tried really shallow DOF and sharpness of this lens. I managed to take about 30 pictures with different settings and double checked them at home. Simple as that.
Talking about shops I wouldn't recomend Jessops if you want to buy glass. They are bit expensive. Nikkor 55-200mm VR I could get for about £125 and in there you looking about £260. So I'm going there only if I want to try some new stuff on my camera :).

What part of Manchester you from?
Regards
Tom

the london cmera exchange in picadilly gardens is the best place for trying lenses i find, they have so many!

never been to jessops though!

im from stockport but basically live in town most of the week

the london cmera exchange in picadilly gardens is the best place for trying lenses i find, they have so many!

never been to jessops though!

im from stockport but basically live in town most of the week

Hmm
I've never been there so tat's my next target :).
Thanks
Tom

I'd go for the 55-200 VR. Your kit lens should do very nicely for close-up shots, and the 70-300 isn't a true macro lens anyway (1:2 reproduction ratio, true macro is 1:1). Also, 100 extra millimetres isn't that much, yet VR can really help in some situations.

Best of luck getting those lenses! If you need a place for some really good prices, just gimme a buzz back. I know a few in the UK.

I'd go for the 55-200 VR. Your kit lens should do very nicely for close-up shots, and the 70-300 isn't a true macro lens anyway (1:2 reproduction ratio, true macro is 1:1). Also, 100 extra millimetres isn't that much, yet VR can really help in some situations.

Best of luck getting those lenses! If you need a place for some really good prices, just gimme a buzz back. I know a few in the UK.

Hi
Thanks for advice. So where is the best place to get cheap lens in UK then?
Thanks
Tom

Sounds like you made a good choice.

I don't know about in the UK but the local shops by me here in the states will really drop their price if you say "Hey, I can get this lens for this price at this website..."

Hi
Thanks for advice. So where is the best place to get cheap lens in UK then?
Thanks
Tom
Well, IMO, www.mifsuds.com are pretty cheap. They do the best deals I've seen so far, if only beating the competition by a little bit, and they have TONS of used lenses as well.

But I dunno, if you say you can get a 55-200 VR for £125, it might not be the cheapest. What website is that? I'd love to have a look :D

Well, IMO, www.mifsuds.com are pretty cheap. They do the best deals I've seen so far, if only beating the competition by a little bit, and they have TONS of used lenses as well.

But I dunno, if you say you can get a 55-200 VR for £125, it might not be the cheapest. What website is that? I'd love to have a look :D

Hi.
The cheapest place I found is Ebay ofcourse :)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-NIKON-55-...s=72:12|39:1|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1308

It is straight from UK supplier and it is brand new.
It looks really good for me.

Regards
Tom

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the 55-200 and love it. Highly recommended.

Hi.
The cheapest place I found is Ebay ofcourse :)
Ah, of course. I keep forgetting about Ebay for a while, then when I find a decent deal, I go on a looking spree. Then I forget about it for a week or so until someone else shows me a great deal! :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back