Lens Calibration

returntovendor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I recently picked up a lens calibration target in the interest of sharpening the autofocus/calibration of my setup. I have a few lenses, but I wanted to start with my primary portrait lens, the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II.

I've found that... at 2.8, this lens isn't looking as sharp as I expected it to in a "controlled" setting.

I've also found that it doesn't really seem to be in need of calibration. It appears that at the long end, it might be SLIGHTLY front focused? But I am having trouble discerning if that's the case.

The target I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012F8G1DO/
The tutorial I'm following (per the target distributor's recommendation):

Camera: Canon 5D Mark IV
Lens: Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II
One speedlight camera left set to TTL to keep exposure constant for ease of use

The camera is setup on a tripod and locked into place, zoomed to 200mm at about 12 feet from the target.

Photos of my results as well as the setup: Sharpness Test - Google Drive

(The viewfinder aim appears off in the photo I shared because I was holding the camera steady to stabilize myself, the actual shooting alignment had the grid-line straight on with the 0 on the target.)

So my main questions/concerns are these:

1. Am I doing this right? Should I be changing my setup to properly execute this exercise?

2. Is the lens slightly front-focused, as it may or may not appear to be?

3. The loss of sharpness and contrast I'm seeing at f/2.8, is this expected for this lens? I feel a bit disappointed to pay so much for a lens only to see such a difference between 2.8 and 4, but perhaps my expectations are unrealistic.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back