Lens choices opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by CherpeAr, Dec 3, 2018.

1. CherpeAr

CherpeAr TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    hi all!
    I have decided to get a canon sl2 200D and plan on getting a couple lenses too. I’ve done some research already and want to make good choices and not spend tooo much.
    I have a canon 50 mm f/1.8 in my cart also a canon 55-250 I believe.
    Thoughts ?

2. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

• Like Like x 1
  3. CherpeAr

CherpeAr TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well it also will have the kit lens .

4. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Both lenses you've picked are a good choice to add to kit lens in my opinion

5. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    The lenses you've listed will be quite enough to begin with. Before going any further with lenses you need to find out what subjects interest you. Indeed I'd suggest starting with JUST the 18-55. The others are good starting lenses, but they may never suit the sort of photography you end up doing.

Landscapes, wildlife, & macro have very different lens requirements, you can start off with your initial selection (you may never need more) but you don't want to get a top quality landscape lens if you're after shooting birds - or a super telephoto lens for landscapes!

The 18-55 is a fair all-round lens, covering moderately wide to moderately long focal lengths.
    The 50/1.8 will be better in low light & shallower DOF, while the 55-250 gives reasonable reach for more distant subjects. If you find the 18-55 limiting in these respects they make good initial additions. I know several enthusiast photographers who never want more than these 3 will provide.

Photography can become a very expensive hobby if you get LBA (Lens Buying Addiction), or the more general habit GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). It's best to make sure you have a need for it first :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Lens choice is really about what you intend to photograph.

7. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
  8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The 18-55 is an okay general-purpose, good-light zoom lens, and the 55-250 is an alright general use, "good light" tele-zoom lens. The 50mm f/1.8, the NEWER STM model, would make a good lower-light very short telephoto-type lens, one that would allow you wider f/stops than the 18-55 or 55-250 can offer.

The 18-135 is a relatively common bridging zoom, that spans the gap between the 18-55 and the 55-250 in one, single handy zoom lens.

My issue with the 18-55 was that it so,so often required me to change to a longer length lens! That's why having 18-55, and then the 56 to 135mm focal length range, is so,so handy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. CherpeAr

CherpeAr TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for your insight everyone!
    My interests are my grand baby whom is 17 months old. Also will be shooting a lot of my kids , my dogs / birds and the sunset / moon !

10. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    If the birds are tame the 18-55 will probably be enough, if they're wild the 55-250 will be shorter than you'll often want. There aren't many affordable lenses long enough for wild birds.
    In good light the 18-55 should be OK for kids/babies but you will want longer sometimes.
    18-55 should be fine for typical sunset shots but if you want to fill the frame with the sun on the horizon you'll need longer than 250mm. To fill the frame with the sun or moon you'll need ~1000mm, Cropping the image from the 250 may be adequate. I tend to use a mirror lens for those shots, but I've gradually amazed an excessive range of lenses :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

In addition to the lens, a external flash which allow you to bounce off the ceiling is a great tool especially for small kids or baby indoor shots. Even if you shoot with the 50mm f/1.8 lens, the added light allow you to have a even faster shutter speed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. CherpeAr

CherpeAr TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

They are my pet birds it’d be fun to get some detailed shots of them.
    What kind of external flash should I get? This is all new to me . My main goal is getting beautiful pics of my grandson. But he’s 17 months so a fast mover lol
    I’m alreasy spending more than I’d like so I’d want to get as inexpensive a flash as possible