Lens cleaning

Boden

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.recordingproject.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I read in some "photography tips" document that a soft cotton t-shirt is just as good if not better than lens clothes for cleaning a lens. Even saying that it's ok to "huff" on the lens to clean it (which is how my father cleans his glasses, heh).

There have been times where I've been needed to clean my lens real quick and have been tempted to just use my t-shirt but I'm terrified to do so.

Opinions?

As long as the fabric is clean...I don't think it's a problem. I do it on occasion.
Cotton is actually much better to use than tissue paper or paper towels etc.
The coatings on modern lenses are very tough...they are hard to scratch.

well, good lenses and filters are pretty tough and are well coated. so i myself do "huff" (if I understand the term correctly? does it include aspiration? ;)) ... but then use a lens cloth usually. In desperate moments i did use a t-shirt as well though i have to confess ;)

just stay away from paper towels and the like

I've used my t-shirts many times and haven't yet noticed anything wrong on the lenses. I would say that you certainly have to treat them gently and with care, but not to the point to become paranoic for having anything close to the lens

A suggestion? Throw a UV or clear filter over the front of that lens to protect it, then worry about keeping the *much cheaper* filter clean.

I use a micro-fiber lens cloth with pure grain alcohol when I get home but a clean tee shirt (tee shirts are made from nice soft cotton, tissue is made from trees) and a huff or two will work in a pinch. Actually, the water vapor from your breath is distilled water so as long as you are just huffing, you're fine.

mike

A suggestion? Throw a UV or clear filter over the front of that lens to protect it, then worry about keeping the *much cheaper* filter clean.

:thumbup: I agree. But when I get home I use a micro-fiber cloth that I have if I really need to.

I find cotton works better than microfibre in some cases. I tend to get tiny little smudges, hairline type stuff left on the lens. This doesn't really affect the image it is just something I noted when cleaning.

Cotton works very well providing you are not using that cotton you had on to roll in the dirt ;)

Actually, the water vapor from your breath is distilled water so as long as you are just huffing, you're fine.

Or distilled alcohol if you've been to the pub...

How about those "lens cleaning kit" that comes with special paper tissue and a bottle of the mysterious cleaning fluid?

I've been using that but I am really afraid that it's actually doing damage rather than good. My lens are all pretty old(passed to me from my dad) and I do see some coating wear on the back end.

So what will be the best method to clean grease off lens?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back